What's new

The Goonies Experience: New cigar shop

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
So today I took a trip after work to a newer cigar shop in town, to remain nameless.

So I pull into the parking lot of the shopping strip that said shop is located. Basically it was a desolate strip with what seemingly only had one shop, that being the cigar shop.

As I opened the door to the shop and went inside I had a really eerie feeling. The best metaphor I could give was that it was like stepping into the old house of the old hag in the movie The Goonies. The place seemed really dusty.

I was pretty much greeted by the few people in the shop. Including a some-what obnoxious cigar representative to _____ (insert #9,999,999 DR cigar company). I guess I had lucked out as it was a day some special sell on whatever cigar they were peddling. The rep. introduced himself and went over what the special was and yadda yadda yadda so fast that I didn't catch anything but a bunch of marketing jargonla.

One of the employees assisted me into the humidor although I told him I was just looking around. I appreciate it, but I don't like them following behind me trying to peddle me on their high markup sticks. I can't fault the chap because that's his job but it's more of an annoyance. He was really nice although I wouldn't suprise me if he was or had been a crook. :lol:

I found their setup of the humidor funky. It wasn't organized by brand but rather by "light body smokes working all the way around over here to full body". I guess the only problem I had with that is that cigars and their characteristics are subjective. One positive was they had every line of Perdomo in stock which I haven't seen in Houston before. As I walked my way gradually looking at what they had to offer I came upon...

Cuban Cigars? I believe there were about 5 or so boxes with unbanded sticks sitting inside miscellaneous domestic boxes. No pricing was visible but there were handmade signs with the likes of P 898 and VR Unico I had an experience of inner-chuckle like never before. Were they real? Who knows... but I really doubt it.

I went around the wall of remaining cigars, talked abit about Perdomo and then quickly left. It was dirtiest cigar shop I've ever seen and feel sorry that Nick was subjected to actually holding an event there. I won't be going back, unless somone wants to buy some cuban cigars. :roll:

End of story; thoughts?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
LOL...sounds like an interesting place. You are more forgiving than I am, I hate push sales people (and I'm a salesperson!).

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Exactly why i mostly stay out of the local brick and mortars here in Atlanta..... horrendous....

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Sounds like the cigar store for the Twilight Zone (doo doo doo doo) :smt101

Sure would have been interesting to see those "cuban" cigars!

J

jckposter

Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Ill add one here went to the Fl Herf in Ft Walton. Wife went shopping so I see the cigar store big sign Grand Opening...I go in the owner is all over me while I look around in the Humi....Very nice place Top of the line..owner an asshole..he gives up on me and his worked comes over....

Retired Miltary Guy been every where smoked every thing...Very very nice tells me owner is and asshole. I say good bye go to the Porshe.

Get out a Cohiba Dc and walk right back in the door right in front of the owner and hand it to his helper and say thanks for not being pushie...Mouth drop on bouth of them Where did you get that, No responce..walk right out ,,,,,

Guy runs out to the car thanking me as I drive away..owner at window with mouth open...

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Texas Cop said:
Vipe, what shop are you talking about? Wouldn't happen to be down around 1960/I45 area?

Andrew
No... I found this shop by the RTDA site. :x

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Vipe: bummer dude... at least now you know

Jerry: LMAO

Mine: tabacco stores around here are coming along, still pretty ignorant though as they are mostly bars. You'll not find any pushy sales reps though, deffinatly not that, it's a bartender that rings you up and it's a done deal. They have gotten better though really, mostly because they listen to good 'ol Chippy and I. :)

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jerry that was great, I also hate pushy salepeople especially in cigar stores. I like to wannder and take in the aroma.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Viper139 said:
Jerry that was great, I also hate pushy salepeople especially in cigar stores. I like to wannder and take in the aroma.
Hey, I am a pushy salesman... well.. not really... as long as you keep buying I'm not pushy at all.. :wink:

Seriously though... I hate sales people... the other night.. Rebecca and I were out to buy a new DVD player (ended up with an Onkyo)...and when we had narrow down our choices to 2 different players and were leaning towards one of them. The sales person serving us used what is known as "the assumptive closing technique"...

Being in sales myself, I immidiately spotted this closing of the deal attempt and turned to Rebecca and said loud enough so He could hear it..
-"look honey how beutifully he tried the "assumptive closing technique on us"...

Needless to say, negotiation of the price went quite a lot easier after that .. before this... he had been using every trick in the book and I didn't let on that I knew them all :D :D

The look on the guys face when I named dropped the theoretical correct name for the sales technique he was using was priceless :wink:

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The Law as it was said:
Treat others as you'd like to be treated
I was a very popular and successful salesperson. I too find almost every single encounter i have with them unpleasant. I made it my top priority to be different.

My local shop has some truly great BOTLs. I bomb them in person every time.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have been in sales for about 25 years and have been around and worked with just about every type of salesperson.

I always hated working with the Herb Tarlek-type salesperson.

The worst was the young guy who had read a couple of books and thought he was an expert- type guy.

I think a salesperson that knows his product, knows his customer's wants and needs and is honest is better to deal with than some clown that thinks he is the master salesman because he is pumped up and positive and smiling with his expensive tie and salon hair cut.

Now you know one of my pet peevees/

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
john tripp said:
I have been in sales for about 25 years and have been around and worked with just about every type of salesperson.

The worst was the young guy who had read a couple of books and thought he was an expert- type guy.

I think a salesperson that knows his product, knows his customer's wants and needs and is honest is better to deal with than some clown that thinks he is the master salesman because he is pumped up and positive and smiling with his expensive tie and salon hair cut.

100% in agreement with ya! I serve my customers.. I show them benefits and am honest about shortfalls.. I find out exactly what the customer's wants and needs are and try match this up with a product. If I can't, so be it.. and if they don't want to buy.. well perhaps it is the fact that the product wasn't right for them....

If I then push them into buying it.. well, long term that is just going to be bad business.... they would never ever come back and probably would tell their friends how I sold them a non suitable product... if I however say:
- I understand that our product doesn't match exactly what you had in mind. I can however help you in finding someone who might be able to help you. (in sales you always should know what the competitors have to offer, so this shouldn't be hard anyway)..

I then call the competitor, introduce myself and explain the wants and needs of the customer, what product from their store that had come to my mind... explain that I will be sending Mr and Mrs such and such down to see them and ask if they can make sure that they are well looked after (all of this in the veiw of the customer).

I may have lost a sale.. but I have won customers for life... next time they are buying anything in line with what I sell.. they come directly back to me...they'll tell their family to come and see me first too... so in essence.. I don't look for an individual sale.. I look at building a loyal customer base and the only way you do that is by being honest, upfront and serve the customer to the best of your abilites... not sell things on them.....

Good old fashion customer service really had some good points in it.. then sales techniques (that focuses on closing the deal fast, everytime) came in the way for good customer relation IMO

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
john tripp said:

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Nailed it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
jckposter said:
Ill add one here went to the Fl Herf in Ft Walton. Wife went shopping so I see the cigar store big sign Grand Opening...I go in the owner is all over me while I look around in the Humi....Very nice place Top of the line..owner an asshole..he gives up on me and his worked comes over....

Retired Miltary Guy been every where smoked every thing...Very very nice tells me owner is and asshole. I say good bye go to the Porshe.

Get out a Cohiba Dc and walk right back in the door right in front of the owner and hand it to his helper and say thanks for not being pushie...Mouth drop on bouth of them Where did you get that, No responce..walk right out ,,,,,

Guy runs out to the car thanking me as I drive away..owner at window with mouth open...

Now thats a class act give the guy a Cohiba dc your crazy Jerry but in a friendly way! :lol:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
hawkan2580 said:
100% in agreement with ya! I serve my customers.. I show them benefits and am honest about shortfalls.. I find out exactly what the customer's wants and needs are and try match this up with a product. If I can't, so be it.. and if they don't want to buy.. well perhaps it is the fact that the product wasn't right for them....

If I then push them into buying it.. well, long term that is just going to be bad business.... they would never ever come back and probably would tell their friends how I sold them a non suitable product... if I however say:
- I understand that our product doesn't match exactly what you had in mind. I can however help you in finding someone who might be able to help you. (in sales you always should know what the competitors have to offer, so this shouldn't be hard anyway)..

I then call the competitor, introduce myself and explain the wants and needs of the customer, what product from their store that had come to my mind... explain that I will be sending Mr and Mrs such and such down to see them and ask if they can make sure that they are well looked after (all of this in the veiw of the customer).

I may have lost a sale.. but I have won customers for life... next time they are buying anything in line with what I sell.. they come directly back to me...they'll tell their family to come and see me first too... so in essence.. I don't look for an individual sale.. I look at building a loyal customer base and the only way you do that is by being honest, upfront and serve the customer to the best of your abilites... not sell things on them.....

Good old fashion customer service really had some good points in it.. then sales techniques (that focuses on closing the deal fast, everytime) came in the way for good customer relation IMO
This scenario is right out of the movie "Miracle on 34th Street".

So Hawken ... I guess you graduated from the Kris Kringle School of Sales?