What's new

The great debate of cigar smoke

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, i have heard many people say its ok to smoke around open cigar; others say that if smoke get on cigars it will ruin them. Was thinking about having a sitting area in my man cave and i have it humidified and generally keep sticks out in the open. Any info and thoughts welcome

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Unless you have a crazy good ventalation system, I wouldnt smoke around open boxes of cigars. Personally even with the ventalation I wouldnt, but thats just me.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I can't answer if smoking around your other sticks will harm them, as I have no experience.

However, my experience with open-air humidors has always been poor. As such, I can't imagine wanting a setup like that personally. I would much rather keep controlled humidors, whether it be vinos, cabinets, desktops, whatever.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have been to many B & M where they might be puffing on a stogie, and then walk in to their humidor to show customers their selections. I was just thinking the extent of infusion cigar smoke will do to a cigar.
I feel an experiment coming on :blob:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I have no experience either, but from what I have seen and read; it Is my understanding that cigar smoke will adversely affect stored and/or open boxes of cigars.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I would never do that if I had a humidified man cave. In a B&M setting, most workers prefer smoke stay out of walk in humidors, but it happens. The cigars sitting in open boxes won't be harmed if the smoke is kept to a minimum, but if you are constantly smoking in your humidified lounge where cigars are stored, over time they could pick up on the smoke smell and affect their taste. No way I personally would take that risk.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you for all of your inputs; also can anyone suggest a good exhaust system for an area of 10 X 20

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Yeah, the advantage walk-in humidors at B&M's tend to have is a)lots of air exchange from people constantly walking in and out, and b)stock moves more quickly.

I'd absolutely recommend against it myself. Why take the risk, especially when stale cigar smoke ruins everything else it touches? Also, I would think trying to humidify an entire room at a specific rH would be rather difficult, when it's pretty easy in a wineador.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a basement. Will partition off the room so that cigars are in a separate area; and have a place to smoke; up till now was smoking on the patio, but with the winter here i find myself to be rushing through a stick so that i can go back inside into the warmth

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
This is an interesting subject. I never considered this before. My B&M is one huge open room with a smoking section off to one side. But the open box cigars are in the same room. Granted, the place is pretty big and they have massive humidifiers and exhaust systems. I have never heard this as a concern, but it makes sense.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The B&M I work at has open humidification. The only time I've noticed the smoke effecting the stock is when something uncelloed just sits for way too long, like 9 months+. Easy solution is to not stock that item.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have talked with a lot of B&M owners and managers and there are very few that will allow others to smoke if they have an open humidor. Most B&M's have a closed system for this reason where they protect the cigars in a RH environment. I have been around a couple of B&M's in Florida that have an open environment and really didn't see an issue but if it were me and I do have a man cave...I keep my cigars protected in a big cedar closet that is RH protected.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I don't mind the smell of smoke on say clothes and what not after smoking, but I don't know that I'd want that accumulating on my unsmoked cigars over time. Especially when considering I spend so much effort keeping them in good shape. More of a concern to me though would be something happening while they were just sitting out in the open.

Also, wouldn't a living area kept constant at 60+ Rh be uncomfortable?
Not if you like it humid :grin:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys... Lots of great advise
It has made me decide to partition off the room and
Keep the gars in a seperate space; now just have to look at exhaust system for the
Cigars I smoke

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Think of the smell of an old stale burned cigar in an ashtry. Then think about this smell infused in your cigar wrapper. Back when Holts allowed smoking in their humi they replace a box of cigars I purchased as they had sat for some time in the humidor and had gained the smell of dead cigars.