What's new

The Hurt Locker

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Dude, you may have a cigar storage problem. If you keep this up you might become that guy that collects cardboard boxes.
I keep showing y'all empty humidors and you sum bitches ain't filling them. Kevin Costner lied like hell when he said if you build it they will come! I kid. But y'all will rue the day when it's operational. Salvos going hot.

Question: If the foam is odorless do I need to pull it all out? Think a hygro and Boveda might fit in the foam up top with some tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned with the foam soaking up moisture and growing mold, similar to florist foam. Check the spec. You want closed cell foam insulation board. That's what is used as insulation on flat roofs. Designed to not suck up moisture even in a wet environment.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I'm with ras here. That may not be the best foam for that. Also, I don't think you want cigars in a totally sealed environment, they need to breathe some, even if ever so slightly. To release ammonia and take in oxygen. If you use that, you would really need to open it daily or weekly.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I may take the foam out. I'm using Boveda in there to control humidity. And I can't help but to open it at least twice a week! Lol

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I may take the foam out. I'm using Boveda in there to control humidity. And I can't help but to open it at least twice a week! Lol

Hahaha, for now. It's if you start to forget about it that could be a problem. And you don't even want to take a chance with mold. Don't want those spores on yours or anybody else sticks.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So by this logic it's not a good idea to leave a Boveda in my travel humi either?

Got me on that on man. Maybe not. Don't know if it's the same foam or degree of seal. The other difference being that the travel is usually for very short term storage.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Also, I don't think you want cigars in a totally sealed environment, they need to breathe some, even if ever so slightly. To release ammonia and take in oxygen. If you use that, you would really need to open it daily or weekly.
False.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Cigars don't need oxygen.

Edit. Until you're ready to set them on fire. Fire needs oxygen.
Hahaha, there is that...
That was based on some blenders comments that oxygen was needed to replace the ammonia and other undesirables. And personal experience with organic things with any measurable level of humidity kept totally sealed... They tend to sour, or worse.... Though I suspect as far as that goes they'd fare better in a wooden environment rather than a plastic and foam one.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Good thoughts/concerns on the foam inside that beast becoming moldy and ruining your collection. I have no idea what kind of foam that is and how it compares to the foam inside of a traveldor. ...something to look into. On the other hand, is the foam even needed? I can't imagine transporting the Hurt Locker very often - or at all. You could gain a lot of storage space by simply removing the foam altogether and then lining the inside with Spanish cedar.

Regardless, that thing is cool!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hahaha, there is that...
That was based on some blenders comments that oxygen was needed to replace the ammonia and other undesirables. And personal experience with organic things with any measurable level of humidity kept totally sealed... They tend to sour, or worse.... Though I suspect as far as that goes they'd fare better in a wooden environment rather than a plastic and foam one.
Cigars will continue to anerobically ferment without oxygen under the right temp and rh. It's a controlled rot. Tasty fermented rotten cigars.