What's new

The HYGROMETER thread.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Welcome to the not-really-OFFICIAL Hygrometer thread.

This is a topic that comes up with about as much frequency as any other in the cigar-storage world, so I figured a quick overview couldn't hurt. To be honest, I wasn't planning on doing this post at first, I was just going to do a review of the new self-adjustable Hygrometers that can be found at www.cigarmony.com, but figured that a more comprehensive post might be in order.

So, to start with the basics. Obviously the hygrometer serves the purpose of informing us of the Relative Humidity within our storage device. The MOST basic hygrometers do only that, though most will give you both RH and Temperature readings.

Hygrometer selection is really a personal choice issue, but there are a number of factors that can affect your choices. For instance, will you be able to read the hygrometer with out opening up your storage device to do so? Do you have a number of storage devices to monitor that you would like to be able to do so from a single unit? How important to you is it that the read out be "spot-on"? How much room do you have for the hygrometer?

All of these things can affect which hygrometer will fit your exact needs. Though I can't answer every question for every hygrometer, for the purpose of this post I'll do my best to note the most important features of each of the different types of hygrometers. So, with no further ado, here we go:

The first and worst of hygrometers (IMHO): The ANALOG HYGRO

*disclaimer, I have nothing against Credo and have never used the above hygro, it was just a good illustrative picture*
You will find these on a number of desktop humidors out there. They use them for a couple of reasons: they look good in an olde timey way, and they are CHEAP! They are cheap for a reason folks, they don't work well. I've yet to meet an analog hygro that was worth a damn. They are woefully inaccurate and in the cheapest models are not even adjustable. Most models ARE adjustable via a small screw on the back of the hygro. Test the hygro with the salt method or via a Humidipak One Step Calibration Bag, note the difference and adjust the needle so that it sits where it should. And if you insist on using this type of hygro, invest in a lot of salt or alot of bags. You'll need to do this, IMHO, at least on a monthly basis to know that the reading you are getting is correct. I can't count the number of times a friend just getting into cigars has described a problem related to high humidity and had it turn out to be an analog hygro that was the culprit. Example: A buddy just getting into cigars kept telling me how he was continually having to add water to his humidifier because his hygro kept telling him it wasn't humid enough. He would add a bunch of water, things would be fine for a day and then bam, back to the 50's in RH. Turns out it was an analog hygro and wasn't even close to correct. Even after calibrating it refused to hold the correct humidity readings. My buddy had some awful soggy cigars for a while.:wink:

Now, if you, like most others have either already dealt with the problems inherent in analog hygros or, after reading the above are lucky enough to be skipping that step, we can move on to the next major category of hygros: DIGITAL.

Digital Hygros come in an astounding number of shapes, sizes and functions, so I will break them into three basic categories: Basic, Adjustable and Wireless. As to downsides for digitals, obviously you will need to replace batteries now and then.

Basic Digital Hygrometer:

The above is a perfect example of your basic digital hygrometer. It is a Western Caliber 3 and has a reputation for being a reliable and accurate hygro. It shows temps in C and F as well as RH rounded to the whole number. Some Digitals will show you the RH to the tenth as well as whole numbers, but really it isn't necessary. This particular digital happens to be rectangular. You can find them square, round and just about every other shape out there. They can be had thick or thin, small or large, and even, in the case of the Little Havana Perfecto Hygro, in the shape of a cigar. Many come with magnetic or sticky backing so that they can be attached to lids of humidors and some are even designed to fit humidors with built in hygrometer frames. If you plan on attaching a hygro to the lid of your humidor, make sure to pay attention to the measurements to assure there is enough clearance between the lid and your cigars. They all perform the same basic function and are more or less reliable and accurate.

All have a certain measure of accuracy, usually in the +/-1% or 3% range. Regardless of what is advertised, you will need to test the hygro with the salt or Humidipak method, note the amount the hygro is off + or - and add or subtract that number from the reading on the hygro to get the true reading. I tend to stick a piece of masking tape on the hygro with this notation so that I don't have to go searching for notes. I recomend doing this at least once a year as even digital hygros can change readings over time.

ADJUSTABLE Hygrometers

To my knowledge, the hygrometers shown above are currently the only available of their type. Those of us who simply HATE looking at a hygrometer and having to subtract or add to get to the real reading have been clamoring for something like this for quite some time. I have one each of the above hygrometers and absolutely love how they work. Simply use the Salt or Humidipak method to test the reading on the hygro and note the difference + or -. Remove the hygro from the container/bag, turn the adjustment knob the number of clicks needed to correct the reading (one click clockwise to add 1% to the reading or one click counterclockwise to subtract 1% from the reading) and press the "set" button. The reading will not move as you move the adjustment knob, you must press the "set" button which will temporarily set the lcd to all "8's". After a second or two, the lcd will reset and your reading should be corrected. I recommend placing the hygro back in your calibration setup after this to confirm the correct adjustment has taken. If you are going to go the extra mile to get an adjustable hygro, it only makes sense to make sure it is right on the money.
There is a magnetic attachment on both the round and rectangular versions that will allow you to attach these to your humidor if you wish.
Simply put, these hygrometers are the sh**. I only have one complaint, and that is that they aren't...

Wireless Hygrometers
The base unit:

The remote:

There are a variety of variations on the above unit and most involve differences in the "base". The basic wireless hygro unit will include the base unit which usually has it's own hygro and thermometer built in and will display the read out from the wireless remote units (usually one base can handle up to three remote units) as well as the time, date and any other number of pieces of information depending on the version you choose.
These units are PERFECT for those who maintain a number of cooler-idors. They allow you to throw a remote unit in the cooler and know exactly what is going on inside without having to open things up to find out. They are also a great fit for desktops that are not glass-tops and that have plenty of room in them between the lid and the smokes. The remote units are not exactly what you would call "compact" so don't think you are going to use one in a desktop with only a couple inches between the lid and your smokes.
The main wireless hygros you will hear discussed are the Oregon Scientifc and Radio Shack models. I have one of each and the differences are very small. My assumption is they both buy them from someone else and relable them. However, the Radio Shack remotes would not work with the Oregon Scientific base.
Once again, my only major complaint about Wireless Hygros is that they are not adjustable. Once someone comes out with a Remote Adjustable Hygrometer, my world will be complete.:nodlaugh:

So there you go. My take on hygrometers. I hope this helps those out there trying to decide what type they want to use. Good luck!

You can find links to just about every one of the hygros I mention within this post. No, I'm not trying to garner favor by linking specific vendors, but I do try to support those vendors who actively contribute to this site.
Mark, I hope you don't mind me using your pictures from your website. If it's a problem, please let me know.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
AWESOME! I have never used a hygro because I've pretty much always used beads. Back when they were climax & now heartfelt. Set & forget, ya know?

Now that I've got a cooled cab I'm having all types of trouble finding a digital, remote, with multiple sensors, hygrometer that I can either calibrate myself, or replace without breaking the bank. Tthis is the perfect place for me to hear what otthers recommend.

Please, please pm me with any suggestions; anyone!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Craig, get thee to Radio Shack and see about their remote unit. If anyone knows of a self adjustable (AFORDABLE!) Wireless set up, I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT. To my knowledge they simply don't exist. I simply noted the differences on each remote unit on the base unit so that when I check them I can look at my notes and say, OK, I have to add X to this or subtract X from this. In my searches for pictures for this post I also came across this very basic remote setup at Circuit City. By FAR the cheapest set up I've seen (at $11 for the base with one remote, and $6 for extra remotes).

If anyone's looking for something like this, I would JUMP ALL OVER this deal.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Jason, I went to radio shack. My local one says they no longer have the remote ones. Granted, I was talking to some part-time employee who didn't seem to know very much about anything I asked her, but she said she had some idea about what it was, but couldn't find anythign like it in their supply. Do you have some sort of product number or MFG info I could use to go in there & ask if they could get "this specific" model? I would greatly apprciate it.

I also never looked at Circuit City. I checked out Best Buy & figured most tof the larger electronic stores wouldn't have anything if BB didn't. Give me the info on this one toto.

Thanks bro!

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Wow, I see your edit with the pics now. Should I just use that info? It's a littlte difficult to read, have any additional specs?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Craig, the Circuit City link is in my post a couple posts above this one and Todd Linked the Radio Shack version (though I can't find a link for the remote ONLY if you need extra remotes...they may be blowing out stock and not have any more of the remote units by themselves...). I didn't put any links in my OP as the models and availability on these dang things change so often. Check your PM as well. If none of that answers what you are asking, reply to my PM and I'll shoot you my phone number and we can discuss.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks for the post JW. I'm actually looking, and have been for a while, for a wireless thermo-hygrometer with at least 6 remote sensors for a single base unit. Probably never happen, but if anyone has seen one, please lmk.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good info, I am always learning something new on this website. I really have had the best luck with my old diamond crown digital. I have the old one that only reads the relative humidity and it responds much quicker than my newer version of the same thing.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Nice post Jason :thumbsup: Great info. I've been thinking about updating my old radioshack digital hygrometer and that circuitcity one is looking tempting.

Edit - Post number 7,000!

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Awesome post, dude. I've got the remote wireless from Radio Shack. One in the top of my winecoolerdor and one at the bottom with the readout thingy hanging on my wall...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yep, that's pretty much my setup Randy. Though it's irritating as every single one of the remotes is off, one of them friggin' 5%! Keep me posted on any developments on a wireless self adjusted setup Mark! Thanks!

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
That's a great deal on the Circuit City model...just picked one up. The Radio Shack model seemed to not have very good reviews, although I know that it's very subjective.

For those with wine coolerdors or cabinets, do you get varying humidity levels from shelf to shelf? I will sometimes have a difference of 5% or more from the bottom shelf to the top. How can the humidity in a closed environment be that different only 24" away?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm really not sure Rat, but I certainly get those kinds of variations. I'm still trying to figure out how to help get rid of them. And regardless of what science says should be the case, it's always more humid at the bottom in mine. I just electrical-taped over the drainage hole to see if the warmer, higher humidity ambient air was seeping into the cooler from there. We'll see, who knows.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Very nice job!!!!!!!!

Good information on a topic we all have questions about.