What's new

The Official Port Thread

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Had some Dows 10 year old tawny which was very good. Anyone have any others to reccomend?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I tired some Benjamin port that lfg2nrg gifted me a while back and it was just too much for me...too much flavor and too much alchohol taste.

I would definitely have to let it grow on me to start to enjoy it.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried it but I'm not fan of it. I agree with Todd on the taste.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Not a huge fan of Tawny, but Ruby, Late Bottle vintage and Vintage from the some of the big houses are fantastic.
I find Tawnies too "raisany", LBVs are closer to what I like in a port (and can afford). Vintage starts at around $50 and up, but is very very very good (depending on the year and maker).
Taylor Fladgate makes a good LBV at around $18, Warre's Warrior is a decent ruby at around $13.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
caudio51 said:
the LBVs, are they ready to drink?
Yup, LBVs are made to drink now. It will give you an idea of what the vintage port style is like without doing a lot of aging. As in cigars, there can be no substitute for a well-aged vintage port from a good year, but LBVs are a great value.
Both Dow and Taylor Fladgate make excellent afforadable LBVs. Once you try those, you can start branching out to the other houses and other port styles. Some houses even sell half bottles to make buying them more affordable, but I have no experince with those.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
One of the best Tawny's I've had is the Chateau Reynella Old Cave from Australia. It comes in a 500ml bottle at around $15-$20 each. If you haven't tried an Aussie Port you should give one a try.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
caudio51 said:
Awesome....I'll be going out today to pick up a bottle of something.
Tonight is Sunday. Your package stores are opne on Sunday?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Wasch_24 said:
I tired some Benjamin port that lfg2nrg gifted me a while back and it was just too much for me...too much flavor and too much alchohol taste.

I would definitely have to let it grow on me to start to enjoy it.
When drinking a port, it is important to let it breath for at least 1/2 hour before drinking. Otherwise you will taste too much alcohol.

I find that the Talyor Fladgate makes a pretty good 10 yr Tawny as does Grahams. Both run around $17 to $20 here.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I didn't know that about letting it breath for a 1/2 hour. Good to know.

Today I picked up a Dows LBV from 2000. It was good, I'd like a bit more flavor though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon moi.....but wtf does lfg2nrg mean? Sorry, had to ask.

I am not a real fan of ports, mainly because they are too sweet. I don't mind the strong alcohol or the tannins, it's just the sugar. That being said, I have found one port that I like, it's a 2001 Estate Select Port, Fair Play. From the Latcham Vineyards in Amador county, California.

I still haven't opened it, but I still remember the taste from the tasting. Out of the dozen or so ports that I tried, that one was the only one I bought.I think it will be pretty good in another couple of years.

:)