What's new

The price of age?

tkieck

Soldier of Fortune
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally say that in between 5-8 years one can double the price of a cigar depending on the cigar. I guess I have always approached it as time value of money. If you are willing to sit on a cigar for that long then you should be able to charge for it as far as im concerned. I would imagine that Im in the minority with that believe though haha

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I would pay 10-20% extra for boxes from 2006.....2008 I try not to buy but late 2009 and early 2010 are pretty good. If you buy a box from 2000-2001 You should get at least 30-40% off imo since chanses are if you have bad luck alot of the cigars are not smokeable.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would pay 10-20% extra for boxes from 2006.....2008 I try not to buy but late 2009 and early 2010 are pretty good. If you buy a box from 2000-2001 You should get at least 30-40% off imo since chanses are if you have bad luck alot of the cigars are not smokeable.
Totally agree..it is a crap shoot buying anything from 2000-2001 years. Had 3 boxes of smoked totally plugged. I personally would buy everything from 07 and 08 as I think those were banner years (great tobacco).

rennD

NinfaManiac
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i personally say that in between 5-8 years one can double the price of a cigar depending on the cigar. I guess I have always approached it as time value of money. If you are willing to sit on a cigar for that long then you should be able to charge for it as far as im concerned. I would imagine that Im in the minority with that believe though haha
I agree with you.

It is not unheard of to pay 150%+ of today's prices for cigars that are 15-20 years+ old. When purchasing cigars of those vintages, you better know if that vendor stored properly. There are only a handful of vendors and private sellers that I use for these types of purchases.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
In a very general way, I would expect to pay an additional 1 - 2% per year of aging on good cigars and 3 - 5% per year for excellent cigars. The exception being those rare phenomenal smokes that could easily sell for whatever the market will bear. There is a place in AZ that hand rolls custom cigars with aged tobacco that charges $1/year for 25 & 50 year old stock.

tkieck

Soldier of Fortune
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you.

It is not unheard of to pay 150%+ of today's prices for cigars that are 15-20 years+ old. When purchasing cigars of those vintages, you better know if that vendor stored properly. There are only a handful of vendors and private sellers that I use for these types of purchases.
Yea I dont know I guess I have always viewed it that if you are willing to park them for long periods of time then people should have to pay for it. If someone wanted opus or cubans (just examples) for 10-20% over the price i bought them id tell them to go pound sand. I mean thats just poor investment haha

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yea I dont know I guess I have always viewed it that if you are willing to park them for long periods of time then people should have to pay for it. If someone wanted opus or cubans (just examples) for 10-20% over the price i bought them id tell them to go pound sand. I mean thats just poor investment haha
I agree. I've personally paid a premium on aged Opus on a couple occasions, and was happy to have the opportunity to do so! Heck, some people pay $30 for a new one anyway. But since then, I have been trying to collect new ones here and there so that in 6-8 years I'll have some aged ones of my own :)

tfb5701

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel that age does allow for a markup above the cost of replacement with new cigars but sometimes I think people get carried away.

For example, I have been trying to get my hands on some CC from 1987(the year I was born) for awhile now. I have posted some WTB adds multiple times on other forums that allow for the trading of CC and so far I have only received one response. The guy had a friend who had a box of 1987 Ramon Allones Gigantes EMS that he would be willing to part. Only problem is he wanted $2,000 for the box.

Now, I was looking for more of a box of smaller/cheaper cigars or just buying a fiver because I knew I probably wouldn't be able to afford a whole box of cigars of that age on my college students budget. However, it seemed to me that the price he was asking was too high either way. I'm not at all knowledgeable in the field of aged cubans but from the auction catalogues I've seen for overseas cigar auctions, $2,000 could get me some very rare and sought after cigars.

Maybe these Ramon Allones Gigantes from that era are some sort of great vintage cigars but the price seemed very high. So the search continues for me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Substandard tobacco, construction problems & also why are they still available (maybe rejects) and how well have they been stored. I look for 2002 & early 2003. Just my opinion.
I was under the impression that the tobacco was actually very good. the construction is the downfall of cigars rolled during this period.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Totally agree..it is a crap shoot buying anything from 2000-2001 years. Had 3 boxes of smoked totally plugged. I personally would buy everything from 07 and 08 as I think those were banner years (great tobacco).
Having som problem during 2008 with the construction.