What's new

The real problem with CA's List

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
BTW, it says they puffed on some 700 NEW cigars. How did the older releases get on the list?
Well when you only smoke an inch and a half at best...

I probably smoked 1050 inches of cigar this year.

OP, can't argue with you, but I will say of the past five years, I have the least problem with this list. There are a few complaints of what made the list, but not like in years past. Sure, there were things I thought were left off, but it is subjective, and subject to advertising dollars.

There was a rumor floating around that the Alec Bradley Family Blend was going to be #1. I'd have to go back and look (which I won't do), but I think it's very possible that review came after the cut-off for the 2010 list, which is not December 31st... so I guess we get to see it next year)

As for the lack of La Aurora product, the 1495 BME made #25, which wasn't really sensible, but La Aurora currently does no advertising with CA... so....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coronado by La Flor double toro scored a 93 or something like that recently in CA and it stomps all over some of the selections (A. Turrent for example) that made it to the Top 25 of 2010. Also I find the Camacho Corojo an interesting inclusion in the top ten. If they had to pick a great corojo, why not the Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf? I think I rate that one higher than they do...

Edit: Having said that, I do plan on revisiting some of Camacho's offerings at some point in the future.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I know for a fact my local B&M had two full boxes plus 8 cigars of the Viaje release on their sheleves since the original release and after CA announced they were the No.2 cigar of 2010 they were gone in 30 minutes!

Somebody please explain that to me! :scratchhe

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This is where I see a great oportunity.
If your top choice is not on that list, you don't have to worry about trying to find it for the next few months. I actually like the fact that they bring out this list and name sticks that most of us here would love to see as a top 25. Those sticks that made the list will be gone for months on end now, and we will be smoking our "regular" favorites with no problems. I don't know anyone that can afford that BHK on a regular basis, so no biggie.
The one thing I can say is that at least the list is a decent one this year, with some smaller "boutique" brands actually making it on that are good cigars, hopefully gone are the days of the giants ruling the ratings...JMO

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The people in this thread discussing the list?
Absolutely....a couple of them have worked themselves up into quite a lather over what a bunch of self-important boobs at a magazine have to say about it. Not one of my top 25 cigars of 2010 made the list...who cares?

I respectfully add that someone who is involved in the industry may have a legitimate reason to be upset, but those of us who are simply smokers? Life is too short to get upset with a list written by some bigheaded blowhards.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I know for a fact my local B&M had two full boxes plus 8 cigars of the Viaje release on their sheleves since the original release and after CA announced they were the No.2 cigar of 2010 they were gone in 30 minutes!

Happens all the time... Although I don't know if the AB Family Blend is moving, lol.

I've seen this happen three times in a B&M: "I don't smoke much, but I was reading CA... I saw that the Olivia (O-live-ee-uh) Series V or something got a good rating. Do you guys have those. I like a big cigar..."

B&M employee says: "We have those, but if you don't smoke much you might want to try something else..."

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think CA is skewed towards their advertisers, naturally. And I think they believe that they are somehow the center of the cigar culture here in the US leading to an inflated sense of self worth and eventual irrelevancy.
I agree. CA is 80% ads and the rest is just about cigars, shops, and whatever else that has nothing to do with tobacco. Ads bring CA revenue, if that doesn't change their minds about ratings, I don't what does...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

People are easily swayed.
Thanks to the original poster who felt some of our cigars should of been on the list. The current CA Top 25 left us scratching our heads.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Happens all the time... Although I don't know if the AB Family Blend is moving, lol.

I've seen this happen three times in a B&M: "I don't smoke much, but I was reading CA... I saw that the Olivia (O-live-ee-uh) Series V or something got a good rating. Do you guys have those. I like a big cigar..."

B&M employee says: "We have those, but if you don't smoke much you might want to try something else..."
i know several people who are just like that. good guys, but the bigger the better, and they still not pronounce Oliva correctly

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

my guy has 12 boxes of the Viaje VOR. There will be 1 or 2 less shortly

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Gotta agree with the La Vérité missing from the top 5 cigars. CA got it right with the BKE 52 being #1 this year but the rest of the list was questionable. Also my 09 box of Lusitania smoked like a dream, each and every one of them.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
do liga privada or tatuaje advertise in CA? i know they did a nice piece on DE in that last issue i glanced through.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Also strange that several brand vitolas that were rated from 90 to 94 in Cigar Insider (Alec Bradley Family Blend, El Triunfador, Room 101 Conjura Edition, Ramon Allones) to name a few, were not even included in the top 25? How does a cigar score 92,93 or 94 in the initial testing and not even crack the list?
This. I don't understand it as well. How does a cigar score a 94 and then not appear as a top cigar of the year? Makes no sense whatsoever. How does a 90 rated cigar make the list over a 94 rated cigar? Doesn't that then make your ratings throughout the year basically BS if you use them at the end of the year as a measuring stick? Whatevs.