What's new

The Ripe Stash

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here are the fifty quickies going into stash now. Should be ripe after New Year:

Fifty gars rolled without a mold attempting to achieve a consistent 5 1/4" x 50rg. Trying to learn how to roll freehand, consistent size, evenly parallel sides parejos. Not a worthwhile project, cause they turned out to be too easy to produce. I did not have to throw a single one away. Some minor variation in diameter; but not enough to worry about. Only three or four with any discernible taper. Rougher than they would have been had I used a mold, of course.

Named them Suaves, cause the blend is so mild

Here's the stash chest, with a foot for scale:

... and here's what's aging in it now:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Took about seventeen months for these to go from unsmokeable to shockingly awesome. They are pure Jorge. I wouldn't have tried one yet but I'd tried some CT Shade-wrapped versions with a milder blend recently and they'd gone from okay-ish to Cubanesque, so I dared to try one of these last night. First I cut the wrapper back two inches so I was just smoking bunch. The filler and binder had gone from meh to possibly the best filler I've ever bunched. The intense rich chocolate coffee of it was hard to believe. I don't normally like strong cigars but that thing was undeniable. Then when it got to the wrapper there was still some of that dark pepper-acid voodoo that was a little too much for me but not terrible anymore. I smoked an inch of it with wrapper, then cut away the wrapper to enjoy the last couple inches of bunch alone.

My plan is to save these until I find some equivalent dark wrapper to re-wrap them with. Could be a long time before I get that lucky, or could be next week, who knows. Meanwhile I'm super stoked I still have some of that viso and ligero in reserve. I used up the seco long ago as a binder in other blends. I'll roll a few using that v/l along with my new batch of H seco and see what happens. Not sure what to wrap that with, tho. Maybe Honduran seco.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Took about seventeen months for these to go from unsmokeable to shockingly awesome. They are pure Jorge. I wouldn't have tried one yet but I'd tried some CT Shade-wrapped versions with a milder blend recently and they'd gone from okay-ish to Cubanesque, so I dared to try one of these last night. First I cut the wrapper back two inches so I was just smoking bunch. The filler and binder had gone from meh to possibly the best filler I've ever bunched. The intense rich chocolate coffee of it was hard to believe. I don't normally like strong cigars but that thing was undeniable. Then when it got to the wrapper there was still some of that dark pepper-acid voodoo that was a little too much for me but not terrible anymore. I smoked an inch of it with wrapper, then cut away the wrapper to enjoy the last couple inches of bunch alone.

My plan is to save these until I find some equivalent dark wrapper to re-wrap them with. Could be a long time before I get that lucky, or could be next week, who knows. Meanwhile I'm super stoked I still have some of that viso and ligero in reserve. I used up the seco long ago as a binder in other blends. I'll roll a few using that v/l along with my new batch of H seco and see what happens. Not sure what to wrap that with, tho. Maybe Honduran seco.

If the Willy San Andres is any good I will send you a bit to enjoy and see if it works on that blend.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's where my head went as soon as you said chocolate and coffee. Breweries do collaborations all the time, I think a home roller collab would be pretty dope. We each have a signature flavor profile, when the minds meet and come together some cool new things can happen.
Yeah, that sounds good; let's see what happens.

I had a sig profile, but those leaves became unavailable or changed. Now I'm back to rando-roller-dude mode, mostly randomly rolling and smoking 2-week old rolls to feed my nic habit, staying just ahead of the supply curve. Ever had one of those phases where you don't have any bread to throw at the hobby? Of course you haven't. o_O j/k :woot:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you should mention Jorge.

I revisited this leaf myself yesterday! Having a pile of Jorge sweet smelling wrapper that I'm not going to use and try an experiment. Dunked them in a tub of water and shook them out. Let them sit out for a few hours and then rolled them into a ball to ferment for a couple weeks. Having realized the errors the last time I tried, instead a more simple outside temperature of here in Florida and get them to sweat naturally at 75 to 90 degrees.

Curious to see what happens. I had a couple of leaves of wrapper cased in a plastic bag and had them sit for 5 days. Totally by accident. I was shocked at the amount of ammonia they released in this short amount of time.

Will keep an eye on them and see what develops while watching closely for any mold. Got nothing to lose.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Interesting you should mention Jorge.

I revisited this leaf myself yesterday! Having a pile of Jorge sweet smelling wrapper that I'm not going to use and try an experiment. Dunked them in a tub of water and shook them out. Let them sit out for a few hours and then rolled them into a ball to ferment for a couple weeks. Having realized the errors the last time I tried, instead a more simple outside temperature of here in Florida and get them to sweat naturally at 75 to 90 degrees.

Curious to see what happens. I had a couple of leaves of wrapper cased in a plastic bag and had them sit for 5 days. Totally by accident. I was shocked at the amount of ammonia they released in this short amount of time.

Will keep an eye on them and see what develops while watching closely for any mold. Got nothing to lose.
I'd always wanted to try that but, somehow, I have no idea how, I used up all my Jorge Habano of Doom wrapper before I had the chance. The stuff on those sticks was the last of it. That's far-out that ammonia is still coming off 1.5 years later. I guess that shit is just locked in there and needs real heat and moisture to break out. When J told MarcL that buying it is just the beginning he was alluding to things.... I always wanted everything I bought to be "roll-ready," but now I accept that this isn't always the way in the leaf racket.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Dug this out of the misfits bin. Rolled March 2016. Nica criollo seco(lo), corojo viso(wlt), criollo ligero(wlt), Ecuadorian binder (Jorge), and wrapped with the same criollo seco as the filler but it looked good enough to wrap with.

Not overly complex but interesting enough to hold my attention. Creamed spices with cedar and a hint of fruitiness.

Originally I didn't care much for this criollo seco but I've really enjoyed the last few sticks I've smoked that have been rolled with it. I need to use the Ecuadorian binder more too.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dug this out of the misfits bin. Rolled March 2016. Nica criollo seco(lo), corojo viso(wlt), criollo ligero(wlt), Ecuadorian binder (Jorge), and wrapped with the same criollo seco as the filler but it looked good enough to wrap with.

Not overly complex but interesting enough to hold my attention. Creamed spices with cedar and a hint of fruitiness.

Originally I didn't care much for this criollo seco but I've really enjoyed the last few sticks I've smoked that have been rolled with it. I need to use the Ecuadorian binder more too.
Can you tell me more about "creamed spices?" Is that spices with cream added, or you cream the spices and that brings out more intense aromas?