What's new

The Robusto & Its Allure

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Saw this on another board.

It seems that this size is one of the most popular. If you can jump into this category, why do you enjoy it? :smokingco

For me, I really enjoy this size for a few reasons. I'll comment later as I'd like to read some input first.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I heard it sells the best on cigarbid. I like it a lot for non-cubans because of the length and look of it. For cubans I prefer something skinnier like a PC or Corona variant most of the time.

JDP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I like the combination of a larger ring and a shorter length. Big ring + long length = :barf: for me. I also tend to prefer the draw of a larger ring so the robusto size works for me.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I'm sure that the robusto is probably optimal for many in terms of price, smoke time and flavor delivered.

However, I've never been one to follow the crowd. I've found that I really prefer cigars narrower than a 50 ring. They fit my mouth + hand better and I can get a better draw. So anything from a PC up to a CG is my bread and butter. A couple of exception being torps and perfectos where the end tapers down.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
tedski said:
I'm sure that the robusto is probably optimal for many in terms of price, smoke time and flavor delivered.

However, I've never been one to follow the crowd. I've found that I really prefer cigars narrower than a 50 ring. They fit my mouth + hand better and I can get a better draw. So anything from a PC up to a CG is my bread and butter. A couple of exception being torps and perfectos where the end tapers down.
Exactly...I might have a few boxes of Robustos, but I really love Coronas, Corona Gordas, Lonsdales, and anything of a smaller RG. I also like Torps because you can determine the draw variant depending on how you cut the tip.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If I had my drothers, I would have a corona. I don't know why. Probably the same reason I like vodka but not gin. But it also depends on the situation, for example on the golf course the Churchill is supreme, or after a large satisfying meal a robusto is magnificant. But for a great smoke for the purpose of smoking, ya can't beat a corona. IMHO obviously.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Proportionate gauge to length ratio, and the word robusto in itself has it's own allure (i.e. think robust). They're also the most popularly drawn cigars in illustrations and advertising. I think to the average non-cigar smoker, a robusto would be how one would most likely describe it's generic shape.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What don't you like about the size? I like the Robusto and Lonsdale sizes myself. I won't turn down a churchill by any means but that just means I have to find more time to smoke it.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I love them!!! I will still pick a PC or CJ first, but it's almost always because I want a shorter smoke. As far as Robustos, I very much enjoy the cooler smoke and overall complexity I usually get. I nearly always cut, almost never punch, a larger RG. I also find I primarily get exactly what I expected in terms of flavor when I pick a specific vitola, taking into account the age and history from others from the same box.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The ring guage is just too much for me to enjoy actually smoking the cigar.

The flavors are great, like PSD4, Boli RC, and CoRo but the ring guage just makes it hard to really get into the cigar. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From a newbie perspective, yes, the robusto looks like the typical cigar without making it too long of a smoke. Personally I prefer a smaller ring guage after trying them, but that's more of a comfort thing as opposed to a taste thing.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer bigger smokes, but when I don't have time for a double corona, a robusto gives me a good combination of big ring gague (and the related flavor) and short smoke time. My go-to is a maduro Fuente Chateau, FWIW.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Robusto is not my favorite! Great for time factor but my favorite are churchills and torpedo's.Usually the larger smokes are more complex, specially the torpedo shapes, the larger ring gauge, the more tobac or the more different types of tobacco are blended in the smoke. With the tapered head, its easy to smoke a 50+ guage with out my jaw tiring. The churchills usually start of the mildest and gradually develop into a power house so when I have the time, that's what I will smoke.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I have generally found robustos to offer excellent value in terms of consistent draw, smoke and flavor. Having said that, I must admit that I mostly prefer coronas and coronas gordas. However, there is something about those PSD4's that knock my sox off! :cool:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Actually, if I am correct? I believe Christain Eiroa (Camacho) had said that the Robusto size, in his opinion, was the best size to get the full flavor of the cigar. The length and ring size in his opinion was the optimal size in terms of smoking time, draw, etc in order to take in all the cigar had to offer. Easy to draw, and smoking time was usually an hour or less. :dunno:
I am pretty sure I read that on the Camacho (Caribe) website. Just thought I would toss that into the mix! I like Toro's and Robusto's because of the "feel", and I enjoy the way they smoke. Thats just me :pimp1: