What's new

the secret to good head

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the humor of the thread title, there is actually a serious question. Since I have clearly torpedoed myself, let me attempt just once to undo the damage.
I have seen 2 methods for forming the head of a Parejo dome head cigar. I believe my issues need to be solved before the doll goes into the mold. Which method do most members who consider themselves successful at capping a cigar use?
Method 1: Trim the filler flush with itself before closing the binder, twist it up tight and use the slot at the head of the mold to gently tug the doll head up snug.
Method 2: Wrap the doll with binder, then trim the head so the head and foot are both open and look quite similar. Push the head into the mold and allow the mold to begin forming the dome.
Method 3: Something else I haven’t thought of yet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Method 3. Since I don't use a mold, after the cigar is rolled and sits over night, cut the end of the cigar so it's square at a point where it's firm. and then trim the edges with scissors creating a dome shape.

Advantage is... it doesn't compress the tobacco down into a dome shape. Trimming with scissors leaves the end of the cigar uncompressed and open for air flow.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Method 3. Since I don't use a mold, after the cigar is rolled and sits over night, cut the end of the cigar so it's square at a point where it's firm. and then trim the edges with scissors creating a dome shape.

Advantage is... it doesn't compress the tobacco down into a dome shape. Trimming with scissors leaves the end of the cigar uncompressed and open for air flow.
That's how I've been making them, too. I'm rolling for me and I don't really need the cap. But, it does seem that a molded cigar burns better and has a nice feel about it. As much as I like a properly molded cigar, I rarely take the time to do it lately.

I've gotten into a bad habit of making the cigar narrower at the foot than the head. I'm trying to correct that bunching mistake.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I could improve on Don's Method 3. emphasis; "Trimming with scissors leaves the end of the cigar uncompressed and open for air flow." you'll see Blake do this with the knife as well as other videos but, take notice to how it is often done in a specific area on the board because it tends to score the board excessively. that's why I use scissors instead.
Something I'll do in addition is re-leaving compression in the head while maintaining the RG size. then, tuck cut, (straight cut) then, open up the binding to finish filling to the desired pressure, then glue. I do set my draw level in said shoulder/head area to allow slightly lighter pressure down the doll for burn.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rolled a rack of dolls this weekend. Spent more care and attention to the head, ensuring there was sufficient tobacco, and that the ends of the leaves were pruned off neatly before enclosing in the binder. Its a process, not an event. I'm interested to see how the latest batch comes out after they are wrapped and dried.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When one applies binder to a bunch, does one generally cut the display edge and the belly or are these measures reserved for filleting wrapper only?

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When one applies binder to a bunch, does one generally cut the display edge and the belly or are these measures reserved for filleting wrapper only?
I used to do that with Binder. Now I simply stretch it for smoothness when I roll. Keep in mind, however, I'm not rolling commercial quality cigars. I'm rolling for flavor and acceptable appearance for me.
HOWEVER:
When the bound bunch is put in a mold, all of those binder deformities smooth out. So no, I don't trim the binder much if any except to remove stems that could puncture the wrapper.