What's new

Thermoelectric wine cooler question

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok, so since my house has been getting into the 80's I found a thermoelectric 8 bottle wine cooler at the local electronic store. Ya...... I know I should have gotten a larger one, but I want to keep my stash to about two boxes.

So I have been running some test before I put my sticks in there and have noticed that the RH swings low when the fan kicks in and it starts to cool the cooler down. It drops about 10% .I have it set to stay around 70f.
I don't have the right amount of beads, I actually need one more ounce so I ordered a 4 ounce 65% tube from heartfelt tonight. I only needed three, but more is better.

Here is the cooler.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=161392&WT.mc_n=67&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON SHOPPING&cm_cat=PRICEGRABBER&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1 PRODUCT&cm_keycode=67

Have you guys noticed a big RH drop when your cooler kicks in?
I wonder if this thing is really thermoelectric.

Thanks

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
That shouldn't be much of a problem if your cigars are in the boxes to buffer the swings.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
from what i hear, thats the point of having thermoelectric is that id doesnt suck the air out of the unit as compared with something with a compressor.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Any cooling device--whether a common vapor compression system or a heat exchanging Peltier system--will cause some decrease in humidity, because cool air cannot hold as much moisture as hot air (or more precisely, the hotter the air, the greater the potential thermal energy).

In the case of these little wine coolers that we--including myself--use for cigar storage, thermoelectric (Peltier) coolers are better because they have a less drastic effect on relative humidity, specifically because they lack the evaporator coil used in conventional vapor compression systems which REALLY suck moisture out of the air.

So that means--in theory, at least--that a thermoelectric wine cooler should have dramatically less of a humidity swing and condensation than a compressor based wine cooler...not to mention that they are virtually silent and vibration-free.

Naturally, YMMV :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Any cooling device--whether a common vapor compression system or a heat exchanging Peltier system--will cause some decrease in humidity, because cool air cannot hold as much moisture as hot air (or more precisely, the hotter the air, the greater the potential thermal energy).

In the case of these little wine coolers that we--including myself--use for cigar storage, thermoelectric (Peltier) coolers are better because they have a less drastic effect on relative humidity, specifically because they lack the evaporator coil used in conventional vapor compression systems which REALLY suck moisture out of the air.

So that means--in theory, at least--that a thermoelectric wine cooler should have dramatically less of a humidity swing and condensation than a compressor based wine cooler...not to mention that they are virtually silent and vibration-free.

Naturally, YMMV :smokingbo
That helps,
thanks