What's new

This anyone we know? 2,000 cigars burn in fire, MD area

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Saw this article on twitter tonight and wondered if it was anyone we knew - Pylesville, Harford County (via Baltimore Sun)
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/bs-md-ha-shed-fire-20160330-story.html

An expansive recreational shed, featuring a wood shop, humidor and more than 2,000 cigars, burned Wednesday evening in Harford County, firefighters said.
The owner of the structure, which firefighters described as a shed, woke to the noise of explosions shortly before 6 p.m. in Pylesville, firefighters said.
The structure, 24 by 32 feet, was burning on the 4000 block of Heaps School Road, firefighters said.
It took 50 firefighters about 20 minutes to control the fire.
The fire caused about $50,000 in damage.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Holy crap, that's really upsetting. I wonder what the poor guy lost...Oddly enough, I was listening to a podcast the other day, and they featured a segment on a humidor/case that is fire proof. I forget who they said makes it though.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah... as far as I know, it would but up to a certain amount. I helps to list it with the insurance company with your other valuables but then again, there always a risk of losing the "non-smoker" discounts.
Here's an article about it : http://finetobacconyc.com/2012/11/27/insuring-your-cigar-collection/
"The good news is that your cigar collection is covered against fire, wind and other perils specified in your homeowners policy. The collection falls under your personal property coverage, which gives you help if the contents of your home are damaged by a covered peril."

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Buddy of mine Lost his home the other month. His Large cabinet and wino were total losses. His State Farm Agent had him estimate total count and then gave him an average price per stick for insurance reimbursement. Also lost his whiskey collection and beer cellar.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
There but for the grace of God go I....

Could easily happen to any of us with a similar collection.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Buddy of mine Lost his home the other month. His Large cabinet and wino were total losses. His State Farm Agent had him estimate total count and then gave him an average price per stick for insurance reimbursement. Also lost his whiskey collection and beer cellar.
Man that's just terrible. Even in the event you get the $ to cover everything you lose there is so much that you may have that you can't purchase again..

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
As said before you can insure anything...just need to be upfront with them and pay the premium on value. Then may have to prove what was there. With that much money it is never bad to have some extra pictures on a phone or at office. If you have $20k in cigars well worth the inquiry lol

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I'd bet very few, if any. I'd be surprised if most insurance companies would take such a policy, given the 'consumable' nature of the item.
Not to mention the Cuban nature of many collections...