What's new

This guy thought it would be a good idea...

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
...to name his new line and vitolas after his experience at an Ivy League college (Hahvahd -- heard of it?).

http://halfwheel.com/viva-republicas-ivy-planned-for-january

Really? You literally have the entire world of possibilities, and you name your line after the preppy, exclusive Ivy League? And your vitolas after buildings and exclusive clubs you belonged to at Haaahvahd?

LOL. Good luck with that bro. I don't know a lot of blueblood cigar smokers who would smoke a new cigar line from a boutique brand.

Speaking of... what would you call your line? What concept would you design it around?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I enjoy. Viva's guerilla warfare. I don't know about this one. Concept is all wrong. I didn't see a price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I don't know that many will make the connection based on the information in the HW article alone...

the cigar is called "Ivy".. the first thing I would think of without any further information is this:

upload_2016-4-29_7-13-6.png

not this:

upload_2016-4-29_7-13-58.png

Even if he starts calling the individual vitolas "Harvard", "Yale", "Cornell", etc... I don't think it would hurt him..

People will buy anything...

How many nasty, overpriced cigars did Altidis sell just because Puff Daddy said they were cool a couple of years ago?

A lot of consumers (especially the occasional smoker crowd) are more about the image than they are the actual cigar... I bet they'll sell these things by the boat load..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several names for vitolas and cigar lines that use 'gutter Spanish'...I'm not too certain that the guys who decided to use those know what those words mean on the street, but I'm not gonna quote them here cuz they'll likely offend those among us who DO understand those words! Or, the namer didn't care, and thought that nobody would know what those words mean! No big deal...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
An Ecuadorian Habano wrapped cigar that is rolled at the La Aurora factory. I'll give it a shot if the initial reviews look decent. The name is not something I would buy off the shelf without knowing the provenance. I would expect a lot of vegetal flavors and something outside of my flavor zone. We'll see how it works out for him.

If I had my own lines I would like to start with something med-full and a bit rustic. I have thought of the name Operarius which is Latin for laborer or worker. It would be based around the idea of a blue collar worker cleaned up for a night out. I would probably start with a Dominican Corojo wrapper with an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper and Nicaraguan filler.

Another one i had thought of was Alma de la tierra (Soul of the earth). I'm thinking Ecuadorian Habano sun grown over a Dominican Piloto Cubano binder with a Corojo and Criollo filler.

Last edited:

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
As long as L&F is pumping out shit like 'skinsuit' and selling out, I don't think viva has anything to worry about

Reactions: nic

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everything is about marketing/advertising to get the consumer separated from his wallet...why do we not think it won't affect those things we love? Cigar have been named after almost anything we see and as long as they are a good cigar to smoke I don't really care about the name.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would name the cigar "Broads I've Banged" and each vitola would have a different girl's name and would be reminiscent of her physical characteristics. For example "Katie" would be the 60 ring gauge one bahahhaa.
That would sell!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would name the cigar "Broads I've Banged" and each vitola would have a different girl's name and would be reminiscent of her physical characteristics. For example "Katie" would be the 60 ring gauge one bahahhaa.
That would sell!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Katie would be so proud :)