What's new

This is my hell...

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
... and I love it.

This drill is just AWESOME. But you might lose your sanity trying to chase it down.

The Drill: Draw and shoot 6 rounds into a 2 inch dot. (Repeat 6 times for a total of 36 rounds)

We want to emphasize the importance of trigger control in training. This is purposely a
difficult drill. It is simple to set-up and execute but burns through ammunition. The drill
involves a single target with 2-inch black dots on the target. Your goal is to shoot 6 shots
within each black dot without having a single shot outside of the dot in under 5 seconds.
Once you gain competency on this you should repeat this drill 6 times without missing.
Recommended distances for Production and Open divisions are 7 yards and 10 yards
respectively and we do not suggest exceeding these distances. A miss high or low is
usually a sight alignment issue. Jerking and not setting the trigger properly can cause
missing left or right. We do not find one method of missing more common than the
other. What does seem to occur frequently is missing the first or the last shot in your
string of 6 shots.

You have to consciously think about proper trigger mechanics while prosecuting this drill
– draw up the pre-travel to the break-point of the trigger (setting the trigger) and pull
smoothly through to break the shot and engage a rapid reset of the trigger to the breakpoint
once again. Start off slowly without time and then integrate time and increase pace
when you convince yourself that you can get 6 shots in the black. The other interesting
aspect of this drill is the impact that even minor imperfections of the grip have at
shooting. The smallest imperfection will likely cause a miss on the dot. Imagine the
impact this would have at a match!
-http://benstoeger.com/joomla30/index.php/drills/30-frank-garcia-s-dots
Dots available to print here.

Anybody try it?
Will you try it? Yes, yes you will. Not because I said so, but because you want to.

What are your favorite "glutton for punishment" drills?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I started shooting IDPA when I was 14. I'm done as of this year, for a plethora of reasons. I will be shooting USPSA almost exclusively from here on out.
As far as practice, most of it is done by myself. Occasionally I'll go with somebody else, but that is rare. I'll also be working more and more classes into my schedule in the future.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So mad I read this ...
Oh I know it.

Then you start watching other people do it, and go "I can totally do better than that!"
Exhibit A:
[video=youtube;ZZ3VdQ91qMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ3VdQ91qMM[/video]
Prepare to be humbled when you go out and actually try to do it.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I want to do more competitions, for the last 5 years i have worked 6 10s on night shift now i got saturdays free and i want to push my practicing more. If you want to would you be willing to post why your dropping IDPA if not pm me cause i want to know more of peoples firsthand with both.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yeah, I'll shoot you a PM in a couple hours when I can sit down and give you a real answer.

No pun intended.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, I hate you for this, lol. I guess I really do need to get that sig mosquito I've been drooling over lately.

iPhone5 from tapatalk sent was this.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yep, I hate you for this, lol. I guess I really do need to get that sig mosquito I've been drooling over lately.

Ill gladly post a new drill every time you're considering a new gun. Just for extra motivation. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I don't shoot competitively and I'm sure I can group that out to ten....but not in 5 secs. Don't know how much ill chase it lol. How competitive would you be on the show top shot or whatever it's called?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I don't shoot competitively and I'm sure I can group that out to ten....but not in 5 secs. Don't know how much ill chase it lol. How competitive would you be on the show top shot or whatever it's called?
I'm willing to bet you can. Probably in one day too.

Me personally? There's been people on that show I could burn to the ground. There's also been people who could destroy me doing everything Weak Hand Only. So not very.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ill gladly post a new drill every time you're considering a new gun. Just for extra motivation. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately an engagement ring took precedence over a new toy for me, but once that baby's paid off, it'll be time to add to the collection :headbang:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Unfortunately an engagement ring took precedence over a new toy for me, but once that baby's paid off, it'll be time to add to the collection :headbang:

I suppose that's a decent enough reason.
I hope she bought you a gun in return :D

Utah, you have a PM bro.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I suppose that's a decent enough reason.
I hope she bought you a gun in return :D

Utah, you have a PM bro.
Nah, I told her I wanted a motor for my boat, and she agrees. Weekends on the water, yeah, that's a win, lol.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Nah, I told her I wanted a motor for my boat, and she agrees. Weekends on the water, yeah, that's a win, lol.

There's a joke in there somewhere....

That's a cool drill mwlabel. I'm going to have to give that a try the next time I go out shooting.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

There's a joke in there somewhere....

That's a cool drill mwlabel. I'm going to have to give that a try the next time I go out shooting.
Certainly do.

At Ben's class, he had us do it by:
1st dot: No time restraint. Just figure out your sight picture.
2nd dot: Set the PAR, but only shoot once.
3rd dot: Same PAR, shoot twice.
Keep repeating that until you work up to 6 shots, and then repeat that 6 times. The building up really helped me, but your mileage may vary.