What's new

Thomspon brands

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the collective opinion of the Thomspon Brands?
I was quite fond of the Navarro Maduro Robustos.
but have not purchased from them in a while.

I have never had any bad experiences with them.

what say you brothers?

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
First of all, welcome! Feel free to make a formal introduction, in our introductions forum so we can get to know you.

I have had a few different cigars by Thompson, a while back I bought a sampler and they were decent, but I probably would never buy them again.

Edit: I forgot, the green one, I think called an iguana, ick!

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Welcome to BOTL. I would go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself. As for Thompsons, I made the progression from NC's to Cubans pretty much exclusively. While I was smoking NC's I wouldn't touch a Thompsons. Total Dog Rockets. But that's just me.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Started with Thompsons in college when you could buy a huge box of 30 or 40 for $19.99. Great for riding around Flagstaff and the four corners area horseback.

Once I made the move to Partagas, Macanudo and Punch kinda lost interest. Then the jump to boutique brands, CAO RP etc. then super premiums.

Finally landed on the dark side with ISOM brands. Still go back to the boutiques and super premiums from time to time but once you cross the line, its hard to go back.

Welcome and as the guys said, do an intro.:waving:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
CWS said:
Started with Thompsons in college...
Holy crap! Thompsons has been around for that long!? :eyepoke: :pokemyeye

I smoked one cigar from Thompsons when I first started. It may not have been their brand, I forget, but it was so dry and harsh I never tried another.

I mainly didn't try another because they started bombarding me with junk mail and telemarketing calls...kinda ticked me off.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll tell you what, I still enjoy a Navarro Maduro Torpedo every now and then! It was my first real (non-swisher) cigar, and I still like them!

drew

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Not a huge fan.. but as you said in your intro if you like it you smoke it period...

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got my first humidor package there. Came with 3 bundles of cigars. They weren't bad, but nothing I would order again. Some how I got stuck on this list where they sent cigars out every month to me and would just charge my card. They were the same 3 bundles that came with the humidor. It took me weeks to get them to stop and credit my account. They kepting saying I didn't send them back when I did. After that customer service expierence I will not go back there.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Wasch_24 said:
Holy crap! Thompsons has been around for that long!? :eyepoke: :pokemyeye
There's a shot!

Thompsons is just not the level of cigar smoking I am at. They seem to be good for newbies but there are a lot better vendors out there.

Welcome to BOTL!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was in college I smoked Thompson's. They got me started. The Phoenix is not bad with some age. Bottom line is there are better deals from almost any other mail order house. Consuegras for example run about $29.99 a bundle or less and smoke like a $4 or $5 dollar stick. The same with the El Credito Apprentice or a Roly. Got a box of Cuba Aliados from CI that was a real decent smoke for $29.99 but you have to hunt for them. Shop around and find what you like. Look at Famous-Cigars, Cigars International, JR's, Mike's, Holt's, Atlantic... All of those will have some good deals. Also, don't fall for that crap they write about some of the cigars. Almost all mail order houses have dog rockets they are pushing by using creative writing in their catalogs.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Bought a nice premium sampler of 10 sticks for $30 bucks a few years ago from Thompson, a referral by a client that got me started smoking cigars. Most were decent smokes, but have not bought from them since. I steer clear of almost every bundle and sampler pack these days.

Nice leads there Terrasco! Lots of good vendors for sure.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
smokem94 said:
... I wouldn't touch a Thompsons. Total Dog Rockets. But that's just me.
Actually, that's not just you. Most of Thompson's house brands suck big time, and there are very few experienced cigar smokers who will touch them. Their prices on national brands are way higher than other e-tailers, and their customer service and marketing are awfu. All in all, at least for the cigar smokers that I know and that post on forums like this, Thompson's is a place to avoid. JMO, YMMV.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good information. I have been lucky enough to not have had a bad experience with Thompson, however I do think they are quite Pushy with the phone calls and "offers".
I have not ordered from them since the local smoke shop opened up, now I can get anything I want one delicious cigar at a time if i want. And the prices have been more than reasonable. My Brother and I have been stuck on the Cusano 18. such a nice smoke.
I play in a band and recently I finally handed out my last 3 Thompson turds at one of our shows. some people act like you are giving them big blocks of wal-mart stock when you hand out a stogie that is not a swisher, funny.
anyway now that the bundle has been benefacted, I do not think I will purchase from them again. Unless I get a craving for a Navarro.

BTW
this little stunt made me embarrassed to have this brand in my humidor.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Gotta start somewhere Tubby, a lot of people (including me) did just that. One has to try new cigars, learn from it, and find other better places. Terrasco post a lot of good places and offer good prices as well.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Thompsons introduced me to online shopping. I found an ad of thiers in a scientific american magazine years ago at a doctors office.

Never ordered from them though.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Also a good place to find cheap travel humi. I like the cusano 18 from time to time and have a few in my box.

Oh and Mr. Todd,...................................................................................................bite me :tonguerol