What's new

Thought about a pipe, but...

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
...after seeing how much they cost and how much maintenance it takes, it seems like a PITA to me. Am I missing something or do I just not "get it"? I'd love to learn more about them though.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Pack the bowl of the pipe with your finger, it should feel, "spongy." Introduce the flame and gently pull the smoke in, using a tamper, tamp lightly and introduce the flame once more, now you have the proper pipe light. Sip the pipe and enjoy. It has been years since I enjoyed a pipe, however this was the best advise I was given, and it worked.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The real key to pipe smoking is patience....a pipe is never gonna just be light it and forget it. Tamping, packing and relighting is part of what goes along with it!

You invest in one or two good pipes and the price of pipe tobacco is considerably cheaper than cigars....and the ladies love the smell of pipe tobacco!

I smoke a pipe in the winter months, I own a dozen pipes of all shapes and sizes. I will tell you that I don't get the same "kick" from pipe smoking that I do cigars but it is still enjoyable to me.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Larry,

As far as the kick, I've always felt that Cigars are to Pipes, what Coffee is to Tea. Pipes give me a nice mellow feel, which I find very relaxing.

Also Pipes in the winter are great. Built in hand warmer!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"As far as the kick, I've always felt that Cigars are to Pipes, what Coffee is to Tea."

Yep, that's a good comparison, I usually say it's like the difference between regular and decaf coffee.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I keep pipes around. I smoke it at work if I want to smoke but don't have the time for a cigar. I can pack my pipe and if I don't finish it no big deal. I'd say give it a shot no one says you have to pay $50 or more right off the bat. Grab a cob pipe for $5-$6 and see if you like smoking pipe. If you do then go buy a decent one, if you don't like it you only spent $5. Also whatever type of pipe you get rip out the filter if there is one. Most high end pipes don't come with them and any of the long time pipe smokers I know tell you to rip it out of it comes equipped with a filter.

There are other guys around here that can shed some more light. I'm a piping amateur.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Get a cheap pipe (<$10) & good tobacco ($10). That way your not out much if you don't like it.

I had a pipe of 4 year old Escudo last night - hit the spot!

It does take a bit of technique & there is a bit of a learning curve - but now, I don't even think about it at all - I really enjoy smoking in the cooler evenings with a good book. I have put together about 9 pipes & have about 10 pounds of various tobacco blends.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I think pipe smoking is even more of a "ritual" than cigar smoking, in some aspects.

Seems like cigars sometimes are better with people and fellowship... and pipes are almost more of a quiet, alone, meditation kind of activity. That's one way I see it.

It's not really that much of a pain. It's true, as has been stated, it takes patience. Probably not good for people with ADHD! :skew:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Grab a cobb, a cheap tamper, a pack of cleaners and some quailty tobbaco and give it a try! The hardest part for someone new is packing. Like the draw on a good cigar you need some resitance, too loose it will burn too hot and you'll get tounge bite, too firm you'll feel like your going to bust a lung to get some smoke. Practice packing it a few times to so ou get the feel of how to pack. Its not as hard as it sounds, hope you give it a shot!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Don't let it overwhelm you before you give it a chance .... it's very worth while, and the patience and time you put into it will pay out in the end.

Just have fun with it :)

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Thanks for the info guys! Now, another question....is there any benefit to buying an estate pipe vs a brand new pipe?
If you can get over the fact that you're smoking some other dude's spit, then all is swell.

It never worked for me though. Others have no problem, as you can get quite a deal.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the info guys! Now, another question....is there any benefit to buying an estate pipe vs a brand new pipe?
Yes I do it all the time .... as long as you clean it out properly, I don't have an issue with it. You can get a good deal on a great pipe (usually) and it's already broken in for you (hopefully with a good cake).

And there are some really good ways to get rid of a ghost, if that's an issue.