What's new

Thoughts on the Padron 1926

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Afternoon all, from icy cold Ft Worth.

Tuesday night I enjoyed one of the best smoking experiences of my life, Padron 1926 No 48, natural wrapper. This thing had been in my humidor for a year and 3 months, and it was time. Wow! The wash of leather in that taste was incomparable, alternating eventually with roasted cashew for most of the last half. Wonderful! Just now I finished a No. 9 maduro, looking for that leather again. The 9 just came from the smoke shop yesterday, but as I understand all 1926’s are aged 5-10 years before market. I let it sit out for a couple hours after bringing it home, to get to my preferred RH, and it also sat out for a couple hours before smoking. While it was good enough to stand in the 15 degree wind chill and smoke down to the nub, I found that it didn’t have that leather flavor I so wanted. A great pop of cocoa throughout, likely due to the maduro, and exceptional flavor, but no nutty roasted cashew and very little leather. Before I invest in a box I want to make sure I’m getting what I want, however Famous doesn’t seem to carry the #48, and I have gift certificates for Famous.. bummer.

Anyone have experience with both the 9 and 48, perhaps could shed some light? I really think the natural wrapper might give less cocoa and let the other flavors shine through, but not sure. Maybe the 9 in a natural wrapper would carry more leather, or maybe the no. 1 natural would have some more of that complexity?

I look forward to any and all of your insight brothers and sisters. Have a great weekend!

Jackson

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Your assumptions about the wrapper is right, the natural has more of a spicy, leathery nutty profile.
Thanks for that. If that’s the case, I’ll look at maybe some no. 1’s in natural. That 48, though... I strongly recommend if you can get your hands on it. Wow!