What's new

Thoughts welcome

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This sums up my outlook on cigars. It gets one shot. If it sucks, I'll never smoke it again (and also think twice about the brand). For example, Rose of Sharon @Glassman

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I've had too many instances where my palate was a little off or one was pairing poorly, or an aberration from a brand that I liked their other stuff, to completely write one off from one try. Usually. There are exceptions..

The Sharon is so reminiscent of the Highclere to me that I thought you'd love it. (though I don't care for either) You should definitely give the firethorne and kudzu a try though.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
If I'm not impressed by a cigar, I might try it again later. Or I might not. I probably will if I already have more of them, but not always. Sometimes I think I will but then I don't, and sometimes I think I won't but then I do... It's crazy, how the future can be so uncertain, but that's one of the best things about this hobby - having so many choices that you don't know what you'll smoke next. Truly a first world problem.

On a side note, seeing how 3 people have already admitted to enjoying a Gurkha in this thread, and that I know of a few others who have, and that if you search far back enough I'm pretty sure you'll find me having admitted it too, I think it's time to formally recognize a new king of dog rockets, and I think that title should go to PDR, because that shit is the worst and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks that

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I've had too many instances where my palate was a little off or one was pairing poorly, or an aberration from a brand that I liked their other stuff, to completely write one off from one try. Usually. There are exceptions..

The Sharon is so reminiscent of the Highclere to me that I thought you'd love it. (though I don't care for either) You should definitely give the firethorne and kudzu a try though.
Jacob's ladder is the only reason I'll try the others

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
If I'm not impressed by a cigar, I might try it again later. Or I might not. I probably will if I already have more of them, but not always. Sometimes I think I will but then I don't, and sometimes I think I won't but then I do... It's crazy, how the future can be so uncertain, but that's one of the best things about this hobby - having so many choices that you don't know what you'll smoke next. Truly a first world problem.

On a side note, seeing how 3 people have already admitted to enjoying a Gurkha in this thread, and that I know of a few others who have, and that if you search far back enough I'm pretty sure you'll find me having admitted it too, I think it's time to formally recognize a new king of dog rockets, and I think that title should go to PDR, because that shit is the worst and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks that
Hahaha! That's funny man.

But the 1878 oscuto is good. And the Fyr is great!

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
For me smoking cigars is to relax or to remember an important event more clearly. Good cigars can be cheap or expensive, personally I dont concentrate on cost most of the time. If it's good and I want it I buy it. You will never know if it's good or bad until you try it. I also cheat a little and have studied multiple reviewers and found two I can almost depend on almost 100% that if they like a cigar I will like a cigar. Just my pennies

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jacob's ladder is the only reason I'll try the others

This comment prompted me to smoke the Jacob’s Ladder that I had in the humi. Holy cow!!! What a smoke!! Southern Draw is quickly earning a permanent spot in my humidor along side my beloved Illusione.

Seriously though, what a smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
This comment prompted me to smoke the Jacob’s Ladder that I had in the humi. Holy cow!!! What a smoke!! Southern Draw is quickly earning a permanent spot in my humidor along side my beloved Illusione.

Seriously though, what a smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’m a big fan of the try it for yourself method. I don’t know enough about the specifics of the cigar, but I do know if I like it or not. I have heard of many cigars on this page I probably would have never discovered, and I would say I have enjoyed most, but not all. I have no reason to say I hate a certain brand or line. There have been a fe I have t enjoyed, and I think that’s just cause I’m still noobing around the humidor and grab a choke that’s a bit more full and complex than I’m ready for. I will say that if you enjoy a smoke by someone, you should jump on the internet and do some searching. If you’re like me and don’t know what you’re really into at least you have the info to make a decision to try it or maybe dabble in something else.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I’m a big fan of the try it for yourself method. I don’t know enough about the specifics of the cigar, but I do know if I like it or not. I have heard of many cigars on this page I probably would have never discovered, and I would say I have enjoyed most, but not all. I have no reason to say I hate a certain brand or line. There have been a fe I have t enjoyed, and I think that’s just cause I’m still noobing around the humidor and grab a choke that’s a bit more full and complex than I’m ready for. I will say that if you enjoy a smoke by someone, you should jump on the internet and do some searching. If you’re like me and don’t know what you’re really into at least you have the info to make a decision to try it or maybe dabble in something else.
Start a list and or journal. Record what you smoke with a simple scale (no, me, good, great) or some version of that. Note what flavors you pick up if any. It's ok if you really enjoy something with out being able to pick out a specific flavor. Also note the wrapper, binder and filler materials used on ones you really like and ones you don't. That will help pick out new cigars in the future.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
So many good points in this thread. My philosphy is that if somebody gifts me one and i have preconcieved notions of it, or the brand, i will give it a try anyway. I have found several that once given a shot were good. Others, that still fell short.
But i heard somebody say once that a gourmet meal with a horrible person is a shitty meal, while a mcdonalds cheeseburger with a great friend can be the best meal of the year. (I am sure i paraphrased that) But the point being, I would much rather sit and smoke a dog rocket with a great friend than an Opus with somebody who is so negative.
What I am trying to say is simply what has been said before, smoke what you like, like what you smoke.