What's new

Three Items That Make Field Sobriety Checkpoints a PITA

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
We don't have dui checkpoints in Oregon, maybe I should watch out for them in SD, but they sound fairly unconstitutional to me, regardless of the FACT that driving is a privilege not a right.

Last edited:

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
We do have them in San Diego, though so far as you'll need to be concerned - its mostly Pacific Beach and Downtown, especially around major holidays where drinking is an emphasis... and downtown most Fri/Sat on at least one way out of the gaslamp. It basically comes down to local law enforcement preference and what the causes is, but they are constitutionally legal.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'd rather have my gun and never need it than need it and have left it at home. People are getting mugged, shot, and robbed in broad daylight in Harrisburg fairly regularly right now. So because they don't send me an RSVP for a future assault I figure I might as well be ready for one at anytime. I've carried it into church because of where I was going afterwards. Hell in light of people going nuts and shooting up a couple churches in the last 5 years I don't feel weird about carrying at church.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'd rather have my gun and never need it than need it and have left it at home. People are getting mugged, shot, and robbed in broad daylight in Harrisburg fairly regularly right now. So because they don't send me an RSVP for a future assault I figure I might as well be ready for one at anytime. I've carried it into church because of where I was going afterwards. Hell in light of people going nuts and shooting up a couple churches in the last 5 years I don't feel weird about carrying at church.
No need to defend exercising rights, especially one that makes sense to exercise.

Sounds like a crappy situation. Sorry that you had to deal with such silliness.

Only thing I'd urge is to leave the knife at home, and carry something that is legal to do so. That way you can lighten the wear on something you cherish (I'm assuming you do), and you avoid any legal troubles. One of my close friends had to spend a ton of money on legal fees for being caught with an automatic blade. No need to take on those expenses and headaches.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Long story short....I was the DD several Memorial Days ago. Was driving my buddy's dad's car, buddy was in the back seat and had 2 other passengers. Got stopped at a random Checkpoint (alcohol and seatbelt). We couldn't find the insurance card for the car. I was given a ticket for not having insurance. Even though it wasn't my car...and after the fact we explained I was the DD. My buddy almost got arrested. He was hammered and flipped out on the cop saying, "you're gonna give my DD a ticket because he cant find the insurance card for MY DAD'S car!? Give me the ticket, I'll take it. Oh, and next time I'm gonna say F$CK a DD and just drive drunk myself since you're gonna penalize my DD!"

Cop told me I had to go to the county courthouse with proof of insurance and they would throw out the ticket. So...not only did my buddy have to find the insurance card (which was under seat the entire time) but we BOTH had to take days off work to drive the hour and a half to the courthouse and show the insurance card. The clerk tells us when we get there that we could have faxed a copy in and been fine. Awesome huh?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Your friend's Dad should have took care of the whole thing since he was the one who didn't follow the law and have the card in the car.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Long story short....I was the DD several Memorial Days ago. Was driving my buddy's dad's car, buddy was in the back seat and had 2 other passengers. Got stopped at a random Checkpoint (alcohol and seatbelt). We couldn't find the insurance card for the car. I was given a ticket for not having insurance. Even though it wasn't my car...and after the fact we explained I was the DD. My buddy almost got arrested. He was hammered and flipped out on the cop saying, "you're gonna give my DD a ticket because he cant find the insurance card for MY DAD'S car!? Give me the ticket, I'll take it. Oh, and next time I'm gonna say F$CK a DD and just drive drunk myself since you're gonna penalize my DD!"

Cop told me I had to go to the county courthouse with proof of insurance and they would throw out the ticket. So...not only did my buddy have to find the insurance card (which was under seat the entire time) but we BOTH had to take days off work to drive the hour and a half to the courthouse and show the insurance card. The clerk tells us when we get there that we could have faxed a copy in and been fine. Awesome huh?
Pretty sure it was in the car from the story

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Wasn't trying to be an A hole.

I thought even if you didn't have the cards you could provide the information within 72 hours without much problem. Maybe that is just Ohio

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

I thought even if you didn't have the cards you could provide the information within 72 hours without much problem. Maybe that is just Ohio

I didn't take it that way at all, Brother, threw the "LOL" in so you'd know I was joking.

In IL, you have to have it with you, or bring it to court on the court date....no 72 hour rule, not even a 72 mnute rule.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0

I didn't take it that way at all, Brother, threw the "LOL" in so you'd know I was joking.

In IL, you have to have it with you, or bring it to court on the court date....no 72 hour rule, not even a 72 mnute rule.
I luckily didn't have to go to court. Just had to go to the courthouse at some point before my court date and show the card and they'd throw it out. When I got to the courthouse the clerk said I could have just faxed over a copy. Cop told me I had to go in.

TapaDeezNuts

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

I luckily didn't have to go to court. Just had to go to the courthouse at some point before my court date and show the card and they'd throw it out. When I got to the courthouse the clerk said I could have just faxed over a copy. Cop told me I had to go in.

TapaDeezNuts
Wow, never heard of that, at least not in Cook (Crook) County....good deal.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Without getting too political, im really not a fan of more government meddling. I know driving is not a right, but I sure as hell pay for those roads. If I'm following the rules of the road, I shouldn't be pulled over or inspected.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I used to do AA meetings at the county work release center in Grand Rapids,Michigan. The group was all guys confined to jail in the evenings because of various driving issues that involved alcohol, mostly DUI. They got a little credit if they attended so our meetings were usually well attended. My favorite question to ask was always, "what got you here?" "What is the reason you are incarcerated"? The answer never involved taking any responsibility such as, I was drinking and drove. I had an open container when the law states I can't, or even, I'm a drunk and can't help it. The answer was always the same: Because I got caught. I would see these same guys year after year after year. Same answer. Think about it.