What's new

Tighter Gun Laws = No Terrorists

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ok Brothers, help me out here. This morning I caught a portion of a commercial on the Fox News channel stating, "...terrorists can walk into any gun show and walk out toting a brand new, fully automatical assault rifle. By tightening gun laws we can eliminate terrorism together."

What the hell? First off, you can't do that. Secondly, what about their explosives and their forged documents? I'm pretty sure that's all illegal and they seem to have no problem producing those:shame:

Has anyone seen this commercial before? Or even better, anyone have a link so I can see the whole thing?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
This was on a Fox channel????

Unless they were calling out the ad ad false that's surprising. It is completely inaccurate. Fully automatic weapons are the tightest controlled firearms out there. You have to register them, they are ridiculously expensive, there is a lot of legal documentation involved and even the paperwork has some somewhat stiff dollar amounts associated with it.

Sent from my personal space using my iPhone

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
This was on a Fox channel????

Unless they were calling out the ad ad false that's surprising. It is completely inaccurate. Fully automatic weapons are the tightest controlled firearms out there. You have to register them, they are ridiculously expensive, there is a lot of legal documentation involved and even the paperwork has some somewhat stiff dollar amounts associated with it.
These were my exact thoughts.

If people want to argue gun control, that's your right but DON'T lie about the facts. America is already sensitive to terrorism so using it as a tool to promote your propaganda is wrong.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Is it a "lie" if they don't understand the difference between Semi-Auto and Auto???
Do I think so? Yes. Could they argue ignorace? Maybe, but it's still a very broad generalization. Besides, if a terrorist is a legal citizen, has a clean history, and follows the rules...what do I care if he buys a damn gun? If he uses said gun in an attack then he goes to jail for life (although he'll likely die in the attack).

I realize that terrorist attacks are different because you can't use the threat of punishment as a deterant, but "gun laws" aren't going to do a damn thing. I wish I had the answer to terrorism though, it is a REAL problem.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Is it a "lie" if they don't understand the difference between Semi-Auto and Auto???
Yes. If you are going to put out a National commercial, or even put forth a national campaign, it is your responsibility to get the fact straight. Especially when those facts, if changed ruin your entire argument.

Bad Finger

Professional Cannabinist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking it might depend on the state. I know it's pretty damn easy to get full auto here in Oregon. Even Class 3(C) accessories are available through retail outlets.

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Guess my point came right through....

I've never understood that theory that a gun bein' illegal would stop all criminal activity...

You know I had my heart set on robbing that bank over there, but now its illegal to use a gun to rob the bank.... guess I'll just go get a job.....