What's new

TIME TO CELEBRATE: LIVE REVIEW: 2011 Trinidad Robusto Extra

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Took the day off to watch my daughter compete in the school district track and field meet. She placed first in her division in the 400 metre dash and her relay team placed 2nd overall.

Decided to celebrate her win with a 2011 Trinidad Robusto Extra that was gifted to me. I was also requested to review one by a few BOTLs so here goes.

The wrapper is a lightly shaded hue of brown. Almost caramel in colour. very gorgeous. Just dances in the afternoon sunlight. The wrapper is smooth to the touch. The cigar itself is very well packed. The foot of the cigar reveals that it was rolled entubar style. The cigar is firm when sqeezed. Not a soft cpot thoughout the body of the cigar.

The triple cap pigtail is constructed to perfection. Aromas of toffee, vanilla and cocoa come through when I whiff the wrapper.

Cold draw reveals graham cracker, a hint of cedar, with a soft touch of caramel. My cigar punch enters the cap of the cigar with ease. An additional cold draw after the cut reveals mashmellows. This should be interesting. Time to fire this one up.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This cigar is surprisingly smooth. It took to flame like a champion. Razor sharp burn and very white ash. Very mellow, delicate flavours. Toffee, mocha, creme caramel all dance on my palate. A very faint hint of cedar. Almost like an afterthought. Intoxicating!!!

As I work through the first third, the cedar becomes more vocal. Not overpowering but definitely stating its presence. The draw is effortless, brings you to an almost trance like state. Generous wafts of smoke reach for the sky with every puff. I lean back into my reclining chair and savour the experience of the sun shining down and the delicate nuances of this cigar

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

As I enter the 2nd third, there is a fantastic tug of war between the cedar, earthy tones and the creamy, toffee, creme caramel tones. In fact, there is a distinct creaminess to the cigar that borders on being cohibaesque.

The ash holds on for a loooong time. Like an ex stalker girlfriend. LOL. Finally it breaks off and the burn remains razor sharp. No touch ups at all so far..

Incidentally, the ash has gone from pearl white to a more light greyish tinge. I can't recall seeing this before. Facinating.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

As I enter the final third, the graham cracker and honey that I experienced in the cold draw make a return appearance. Throughout the whole cigar, there is no hint of harshness or amonia. Pure decandence. The tug of war continues between team cedar/earth and team creamy/toffee/creme caramel. It keeps me both guessing and interested.

The burn continues to be sharp, the smoke is billowing like a smoke stack and the draw is as easy as iced tea through a straw on a hot summer day. Time to just kick back and really enjoy the end of this cigar.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Final impressions: This was a very eye opening cigar. I think that the tobacco that is being used in Cuba right now is fantastic. The flavours of this cigar were smooth, refined and delicate. No trace of harshness, bold youth or brashiness.

A fantastic way to celebrate my daughter's win at the track and field event.