What's new

time to take the leap

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok guys, I bought a pipe. Not a new one, but one I found at an antique shop today. As some of you know my grandfather was a big influence on my love for cigars and he also had a pipe with him most of the time. I have some of his old pipes packed away that I'm going to try to find. I can't walk by the pipe tobacco without stopping to smell it. That's not new, but boy has it been amplified lately.

Any suggestions about where to start?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I'm a little too new to help much but if the pipe is clean and ready to smoke from I would just ask the tobacconist for a sample of the best selling aromatic they have.

I just started smoking a pipe about a month ago but so far I find the most enjoyment from the aromatics...they just seem really simple and straight forward to me.

If the guys at the local shop are approachable I would just take the pipe in with you and absorb any tips or tricks they might offer you. If the shop is anything like my local shops they may even allow you to sample a few different tobaccos first before you make a decision.

Good luck Jim. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I concur ... just take the pipes with you into your local shop and have them checked out. Many have the experience to clean and refurbish older pipes to very good condition. If not, they might be able to refer you to someone else locally who can.

Purchase some pipe cleaners, a tamper tool and a cheap pipe lighter. These should all total about $10.

Then start trying many different blends. Get some aromatics, English / Balkan, Virginia, Perique and Burley blends. Like anything related to taste, your likes + dislikes will be somewhat unique, so it will take some trial and error to find your niche. Take smoking notes if possible.

Lastly, check out the top two sticky threads in this room. Lots of good links ...

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
ans remember to ask questions
the Brother of the Briar here will help any way we can!!!
Pipe smoking is a good way to relax like cigars and are great when you need a short smoke.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ask for Lane Q1 it is the most popular pipe tobacco sold in America. Nice starter tobacco. It should be easy to find if not let me know I'll send you some.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dunno, the "most popular" tobacco they had at the shop. It was good, but I only got a half bowl because I didn't know how long it would last or how I would like it. They told me to stop in every day if I want and have a free bowl of anything. I would if I lived in the same town...

I was at WalMart tonight and grabbed a package of Captain Black because it smelled really good. It didn't taste anywhere near as good as the other so it'll probably just be an air freshener. :)

I didn't realize how often you have to relight though! I've been looking online for samples. I'll go back to the local, no question, but if I can find good deals out there I'll do that too.