What's new

Tiny bugs in my cigar boxes

FuenteSmoker

Il n'y a pas de fumée san
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
When you guys get new gars either purchased or bombed do you freeze them or keep them away from your main
Stash just in case? Sorry if this is a noob question!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here in Afghanistan, we get a lot of Cubans and random cigars from other groups here, but some good advice I recently got was to start segregating Cubans and suspicious cigars into a quarantine section or just freeze them as mentioned above until they pose no bug threat to the other cigars in the main stash. Its help me here. = 2 cents

Hope everything works out for ya!

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So, does it really matter what type of bug these are? I personally wouldn't want ANY bugs in my humi & would freeze all my cigars (using CMac's example of 1 day fridge, 3 days freezer, 1 day fridge) and get rid of the empty boxes.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I know it's better to be safe than sorry.
It will just be a hassle to bag up all my sticks and freeze them.
Don't get me wrong, I'll do it... or whatever else may be necessary to save my stash.
But I posted this here to see if anyone can tell me what these are.
I do realize the pictures make it very difficult to make a definitive identification on whatever kind of "bug" this might be.
However, so far, no one has said with any certainty that it is infact a tobacco beetle.

When you take everything into account, it doesn't appear that these insects pose a threat to my cigars.

So I guess all that can be said is "better safe than sorry."

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've frozen batches of cigars plenty of times with no adverse effects on the cigars. I usually freeze them for 2-3 days followed by 1 full day in the fridge. I got some cigars from a friend that had beetles and a few holes in the wrappers. I threw out the few that were infected and froze the rest. Fortunately the infected cigars were in a separate bag from the rest. I don't have that many cigars so I don't take chances with the ones I have.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
This thread has been pretty entertaining. The pic is unfortunately small and, when blown up, blurry so it's difficult to give an ID. Tobacco Beetles are usually around 1/10 inch long and while I'm not very good at eye balling distances, the beetle in question looks like it's smaller than that :dunno:. Beetles undergo what's known as complete metamorphosis. There is a distinct egg, larva, pupa, and adult stage. Once adults emerge from the pupa the do not grow any further. It definitely looks beetle-like in the photo and there are a number of beetle species that are pests of wood. It's possibly they could be another species of beetle that doesn't find tobacco very tasty.

Dan

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
would sh!t a brick if i saw that running around my humidor or in boxes. would probably throw everything in freezer while trying to look up specifics

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So, does it really matter what type of bug these are? I personally wouldn't want ANY bugs in my humi & would freeze all my cigars (using CMac's example of 1 day fridge, 3 days freezer, 1 day fridge) and get rid of the empty boxes.
Fridge step is not necessary before or after.

Full boxes go straight. In the freezer for 5 days.. Then let em warm to room temp before putting in freezer.
Bagged sticks only need 3 days...