What's new

Tips For Changing Careers?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Today I finally had it with how some things at work are going and I need to find a new job. Probably not the best time what with the economy and all, but it is what it is. Was wondering if any of you guys had some tips for changing career fields? I have a B.S. in Biology, but most jobs require a Masters or X number of years experience. I've spent the last 8 years working in the veterinary field, but feeling a little burnt out (or maybe it's just where I'm at :dunno:). Started reworking the resume tonight, but unsure of how some of the skill sets relate to other fields...

Just looking for suggestions I guess.

Dan

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Having a science background makes becoming a science teacher a viable option. In my state they have a program where they hire people with bachelors and get them in the classroom, take a few classes on classroom systems and within two years you are an offically licensed teacher. Not sure if that interests you. Science and math teachers can pretty much write their ticket down here, not sure about MO. I teach high school and have seen plenty of people enter this program... some love it and stay... others aren't made for the classroom...

Whatever you do make sure you enjoy it. Good Luck!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
You could hoe yourself out.

Seriously, I would figure out anoither very strong skill that you can show quantitatively on a resume, and angle that way. For instance, I have gained a lot of sales experience with all of the retail marketing I have done...I almost recently got a sales job because of it.

Just a thought....Best of luck, Dan. Let us know what happens :)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I concur with the teaching idea. Teaching is wonderfully rewarding.

And a little bit of common sense advice... make sure you have your new job offer (in writing) before giving your two weeks notice at your current job. And don't skip out on the two weeks notice thing - employers really hate that and burning bridges is never a good idea in today's economy.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
pharmaceutical sales would be another option.

One thing to do is to write down what transferable skills do you feel you are strong in and what did you like about your current job.
What is it you are looking for in your next role? What does the ideal job look like to you?

Would help narrow down the field of job opportunties to look at. Would also help in interviews. Hope that this helps

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I would get with a recruiter and have them do the searching for you. They will be able to look at your experience and match you with some options that you may not have thought about. Best of luck!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Teaching is something I've thought about, I think I'd enjoy it. There is a program at the local college where you can get licensed to teach in practically no time if you have a Bachelor's. I've yet to find a school district in the area that is hiring for a science position though and relocating isn't an option right now (just bought a house a year ago and wife's family is here). I've considered substitute teaching as a means of getting my foot in. The only thing with that is I can't be guaranteed a job every day, which means the income may not match what I need.

Dan

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I feel your pain. For the last year I've been seriously thinking about changing careers, I just have no clue what I'm looking for. However, I know that whatever will come my way will come my way when it's time. For me, this time period is good practice in patience. It's tough, but rest assured that what your looking for will come to you.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I feel your pain - I've been leaving my job for the past five years...

I agree with the sentiment: don't flip your boss the bird before the ink is dry on a new deal.