What's new

To Age or not to Age

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
OK so I now have some pretty good cigars 2 Sharks King B, VSG's ESG's. So now the question from all you more wiser smokers than I. Do I need to age the cigars listed above, and if so how long to do so. And if I do or don't age them how will this effect the taste of them?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I would stick them in your humi for at least a month since most B&M over humidify their stock....then, it's up to you. If you don't have any cigars to smoke, well smoke away. If you can afford to age, then do it.

As to the effects of aging and taste, it's all subjective. This is the fun part, you get to experiment!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So now the question from all you more wiser smokers than I. Do I need to age the cigars listed above, and if so how long to do so.
My rule of thumb:

- 1 month in the humi to settle things down
- 4-to-6 months to really let them stabilize well
- 1-to-2 years to get them to a "mature" state
- 3+ years to put some age on them.

Also has anyone had a Partagas 160? I just got one today as well.
They are utterly flavorless; might as well smoke air through a straw.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I think the Partagas 160 suck ass...not worth the price. The ESG's definitely need some time. I bought a box of them, and I want to lay off of them for at least a year (maybe when the next vitola is released). They are pretty good now, but they are going to be phenomenal.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Here's what I think. The VSG's and Sharks have been proven to be great sticks with a few years on em so lay em down. As for the ESG, I've said it before that I think these are going to be some very sought after Or's a few years down the road. I really believe they are going to be something special. Also like Todd said, they will be sort of collectors items all on their own. The King B I'd put in a different category. If you happened to get a good one, (they are very hit and miss) I think it too will benefit from some age. If the store you got it from still has some of the same in stock, I'd smoke it now to see if it's a good one. If it is, I would consider going back and getting a handfull more. .04:lookaroun

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Here's what I think. The VSG's and Sharks have been proven to be great sticks with a few years on em so lay em down. As for the ESG, I've said it before that I think these are going to be some very sought after Or's a few years down the road. I really believe they are going to be something special. Also like Todd said, they will be sort of collectors items all on their own. The King B I'd put in a different category. If you happened to get a good one, (they are very hit and miss) I think it too will benefit from some age. If the store you got it from still has some of the same in stock, I'd smoke it now to see if it's a good one. If it is, I would consider going back and getting a handfull more. .04:lookaroun
They're some pretty special cigars, I'd age'm.
Thanks I welcome the advise of those wiser than I. And I will be going back to buy up some more King B's, Sand Sharks and ESG's.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I can tell you that letting the VSG's sit for awhile really has an impact. I had a few that I bought from the OR cabinet and they were incredible.

The PAM A from 99 that I smoked also was more subtle than what you get from "fresh from the B&M" taste. I would really try your best to put some of them down for awhile and forget'em. The best thing to do is just buy more to smoke and keep the ones you have in a box out of sight.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
If they told you then youd be in the know. Not sure if you want to be IN the know. :nodlaugh: :nodlaugh:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The King B needs at least one year, preferably 2. The Shark is very smokable right now, but will be much better with a year, even better than at after 2.