What's new

To all the new guys - please read!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fellow BOTL Brothers,just joined today and I thank you for this thread as there is a wealth of threads to look over to get alcimated to.
Thanks one and all.
Wyldcard(Mark)

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I just wanted to thank all the new members that are being active on this forum. This is what makes BOTL such a successful community. The comraderie and passion and lack of ego are what helps keep this place free of the drama I hear that other place have. I have always seen people use the BOTL Golden Rule: Do unto BOTL's as you would have BOTL's do unto you. For a place that is full of people from all over and many of whom have never met, BOTL is like Cheers except instead of a bar it's our own virtual cigar lounge. Welcome all and all are welcome.

Oh yeah, don't forget to donate!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
What Dee really means is that he loves it, and loves it even more when we blow up his mailbox.
When I first saw this post, I was 2 days old here and didn't really know what it meant. I got the mailbox reference and all, but I didn't truly understand it until a few weeks later, when I got my hands on a fellow brother's address and discovered first-hand how great it felt to make his day by "blowing up his mailbox"... and of course, to then have my own mailbox obliterated shortly thereafter. The joys of smoking a cigar that was bombed to you, as well as seeing a few sticks that you picked from your collection being proudly displayed by someone who deserved a good bombing, are joys that I cannot express enough.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Roger that stogieninja! (y)
Hey all,

I wanted to take a minute to reach out to the new guys, as we've seen a large influx of new members lately, due to a variety of factors.

To the new guys: welcome! You've found what I consider one of the best places on the internet for cigar conversation and camaraderie. The name of the site is "Brothers of the Leaf" for a reason: this place really is a brotherhood.

It takes a bit of time to acclimate to a new family, and for most of you it will be the same. We welcome you with open arms, but I would like to make a few small suggestions:

1. Read the BOTL Pre-study Package. Lots of great information there about navigating this place, and about how it operates.
EDIT: There are a few dead links there, but a simple search will reveal most of what you're looking for.

2. Read the post by Craig Mac entitled Fitting In. It's linked at the end of the Pre-Study Package, but is worth being pointed to again.

3. Leave other forums out of the discussion here. What happens at other forums shouldn't be brought here or discussed here. Issues, problems, drama, etc with other forums should be discussed elsewhere. BotL is remarkably drama free, and we'd all love to keep it that way.

4. Remember to be respectful. Like any other relationship, being part of a brotherhood takes a lot of respect. Don't assume that just because you signed up, you deserve something. Take the time to establish relationships before you PM a guy about his Cuban sources. (In fact, don't ever PM someone asking for their Cuban sources. If you take the time to develop relationships, you'll find everything you're looking for.) Don't ask for bombs, or hint around hoping someone will bomb you. Be respectful in your responses, even if you think someone else was rude in their comment. That kind of thing.

I'm posting this because I too was once new here, and made a number of mistakes. Now, the brotherhood here is very forgiving (heck, they still let me stick around!) but the points above will help you avoid the same missteps I made as you become part of the community here.

Hopefully this helps, and welcome again to all of you new guys!
-StogieNinja

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing - please put up an avatar! It makes you that much more identifiable at a glance, helps us to identify you and identify with you, and just makes you "feel" more like a part of the community.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As always...great post and well thought and delivered. We all need reminders esp. after 60 years old...you'll understand when you get there.