What's new

To de-vein or to keep the viens, how much is ok?

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, newbie here. Was reading an article on stems found in cigars and was wondering how much stem do you leave on your filler leaves when you roll? The article claimed that they are necessary for structure and taste but I’m not quite convinced.

https://ministryofcigars.com/dont-complain-stem-in-your-cigar/

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Yup I leave the top bit.

Try it both ways and see which "blend" you like better

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I pull most of the center rib out but leave the rest. The only exceptions being if they wind up on the edge of the bunch and would tear the binder/wrapper, they get pulled out too.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey, wait a minute... What is structure? Why do you need it? Aren't you going to bind this thing long and round? Isn't that your structure? How's twigs work into the mix? It's not mortar. You don't need rebar.

I call BS on this "structure" writer. I don't think he ever rolled anything more than maybe his VW Beetle.

Look at your paper towel roll. The paper is its structure. Look in the end of it. You don't have to put anything in there to make it have a structure. Now if you were smacking people round the head with it like a night stick, different story. But you're not. Just sucking thru it.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a huge nicotine fan, my understanding is the majority of nicotine may be in the stem. That reason alone I pull the stem save one inch or so. However in the interest of testing, I will roll two to compare. One with and one without a lot of stem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, structure maybe in the sense of filling out the bulk of the doll. not so much like rebar, more like bulking up profits. its just good business sense.
It seems like a fair amount per stick.

I see some flavor enhancements in it. they say the stem has a lot of nicotine. the science says not compered to the lamina.

"United Cigar is introducing a first-of-its-kind cigar that has been in the works for over 5 years and they believe its time has finally come. A five-tobacco blend surrounded by a Sumatra binder and an Ecuadorian wrapper might not sound that different but El Tallois the first cigar to use all stems as the filler.

El Tallo is handmade in the Dominican Republic at Tabacalera Magia Cubana by master blender Jose Dominguez. The project began as an experiment to bring tobacco stems through a long, five-stage fermentation process and blend five different tobacco stems making up the filler tobacco instead of tobacco leaves.

After years of trial and error, in what people said could not be accomplished, El Tallo is complete and it burns amazingly well. The aroma of the blend before lighting is almost Cuban like and the flavor is bold. “El Tallo is deceiving to the eye but it is packed with strength, it may be the most full bodied cigar out there and will sneak up on you so be warned” says Oliver Nivaud, Marketing and Sales Director for United Cigars. El Tallo is a full bodied, rich tasting, affordable cigar. El Tallo does not use any tobacco leaves as filler, just the stems which most companies discard or use very little of to strengthen their lines. Nivaud goes on to add, “You will be amazed at the final results.

El Tallo will be sold in packs of five, 6” x 50 cigars, with a suggested retail price of just $2.95 per cigar or a 5 pack for $14.75 per pack.

About United CigarsUnited Cigar, builds brands to unite every cigar lover. Their lines represent consistency and quality while not only offering cigars that “Flat Out Taste Better” but protect their loyal Brick & Mortar. Live United, Buy United, Smoke United."
https://thecigarauthority.com/united-cigar-announces-el-tallo-a-first-of-its-kind-cigar/?fbclid=IwAR1mj8-DLtFuVKdma5Io69D_Gef4MxeZYaqNO_EJL2HmVtqSmGHuguZBfHU

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The stems have the same great flavor as the leaf and I believe they help aid in the draw of the cigar. I only remove the thickest part on ligero if it has a very large midrib, the rest stays.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The stems are in high demand among homing pigeon enthusiasts, who think these are the finest nesting stuff ever. Baccy keeps vermin out of nests, they say. FX Smith used to sell bales of stems to coop keepers. Their stem stripping machine was the oldest machine in the factory, from the 19th century, made right to last, leather belts and all. Stripped midrib from the whole leaf stem to stern. No idea what they use now they can't get baccy stems. I still get calls now and then from the web site.