What's new

To Freeze Of Not To Freeze. That is the question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobacco beetles the bane of BOTL and SOFTL alike.

Do any of you freeze you sticks before putting them in your main humdiro or quarantine them?

Me, no. I'll take me chances.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Only farm rolls and custom rolls, if they weren't already frozen by the seller.
+1
I buy heavy in winter and always freeze the JO and custom rolls; Habanos S.A. has a freezing standard before they leave the island for this reason. Hasn’t resulted in any problems... but I understand people that freeze for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I froze this box of epi de luxe that arrived a few months ago with a live beetle crawling around in the bag

7CF93A33-9D40-4946-B114-0B3B6436E13A.png

No damage to the sticks though and they smoked amazing, so I’m totally convinced now that beetles are delicious. In retrospect, I’m kinda disappointed that I didn’t think to keep it and use it to start a little beetle farm

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Same. I’ve never had a beetle. Would I have if I didn’t freeze? Maybe not, but I wouldn’t want to be on the losing end of that experiment.
Understood. In this case one bad beetle runs the cigar bunch.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I froze this box of epi de luxe that arrived a few months ago with a live beetle crawling around in the bag

View attachment 142387

No damage to the sticks though and they smoked amazing, so I’m totally convinced now that beetles are delicious. In retrospect, I’m kinda disappointed that I didn’t think to keep it and use it to start a little beetle farm
Now THAT'S scary.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen lots of beetle problems over the years, but never in my humidor. I freeze everything. It is effortless, effective and has no effect on the cigar quality.
I agree. It's not gig to hurt the sticks, but not doing it could hurt them :) It's also one of the reasons I leave cello on and with Cubans I also quarantine them for three weeks before putting them in my main humidor.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
As a sort of insurance policy, I began freezing my cigars about 4 years ago. I began doing it for two reasons. 1) I didn't want the worry that I would get a beetle infestation and 2) I didn't want to have to worry about bombing someone and them getting beetles and wondering if my cigars could have played a part.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
As a sort of insurance policy, I began freezing my cigars about 4 years ago. I began doing it for two reasons. 1) I didn't want the worry that I would get a beetle infestation and 2) I didn't want to have to worry about bombing someone and them getting beetles and wondering if my cigars could have played a part.
Ooo, hadn’t ever thought of that last part. Good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk