What's new

Tobacco Road officially closes smoking room in Oakland CA

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not that the place had a ton going for it but the smoking room in back and the humidor I'd JUST ordered cigars for are being ripped out tomorrow.

So I'm back on the front steps of my apartment building where I have to deal with bull from my building manager and the weirdos on the street who ask about the kilt, or the "fat joint" looking thing in my hand...until they smell it and complain.

Or I'm forced to spend money to go to Grants (not that I mind when I have it) or Occidental (when I have the cash)

Least I'm enjoying the latest Christina Dodd novel.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Business decision by the owner. I had just started to cultivate the guy who works there more on getting different cigars in there from JMG. Hell I'm the one that ordered for him last time he needed cigars!

It DOES suck. But apparently there will be a place opening up soon around 7th and Broadway near the Trappist.

I think Oakland needs a cigar club that meets regularly...

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tobacco Road had a tough beginning. The first owner kicked out all the headhsop shit and tried to cultivate a cigar culture in there but was never around and never promoted. I did the only reviews of the place, and the sticks. The room had four ventilators.

Then she sold and the new owner came in, brought all the bullshit back but he's 24. And his brother isn't much older. Yememi if it matters...

I said "you'll lose business' and he said "I know how many cigars I sell." Something about no smoking when food is present as though he's a restaurant. If the crap he sold didn't have things in it that were WORSE for you than cigar smoke I'd consider giving it to him.

Just another sign of the times, folks.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sorry to hear about this. I know that I used to frequent a spot in Oakland, LaSalle's and they closed. One of the proprietor's found his way to Walnut Creek (Casa Belicoso's) and then there is the Cigar Bar in SF. They do some things with Grant's.

Just sharing.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Casa Belicoso is a great place to go. Also the Cigar Loft opened up in Walnut Creek. There is also Telford's in Mill Valley.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
The cost per square foot to keep a lounge is probably losing them money. In tough economic times makes things even harder to keep them going is my guess.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, for me the point was that I could go somewhere and NOT spend any money. I"m at Occidental, Cigar Bar and Grants occasionally these days. I DO want to check out Casa Belicoso, plan for Telfords once I talk to Max at ACC Cigars.

I miss La Salle