What's new

Tobacco roatation

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Found out that one of my gifts coming is a pipe. My wife thought it would be nice to smell pipe smoke as a change of pace from my cigars.

This is new territory for me so was wondering a few things. What tobacco's do you guys prefer/recommend for a cigar smoker?
Do manufactures release new product regularly or are they more regular than cigar companies? , reason I ask it cigar manufacturers are always coming out with new product and I don't want to get caught up in the "chase" for yet another product lol.
Whats the best way to store pipe tobacco? I'm assuming there should be some humidity regulation involved. G1

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to the world of pipes!

As for tobacco there are alot of different types but they generally fall into two types aromatic and non-aromatic or natural.

The aromatics are "cased" which means they have flavorings added like rum, vanilla, etc. The casing gives them a nice aroma and sometimes flavor.

The non-aromatics are blends of uncased tobacco's. In these the three common types are burley blends, virgina blends and english blends.

Some suggestions Peter Stokkebye English Luxury a mild english blend, Cornell & Diehl's Haunted Bookshop a burley blend, Habana Daydream a virgina blend with cigar leaf, and their Yale blend. I'm also about 2/3 of the way through a tin of E. Hoffman's Distingushed Gentleman, kind of a english, aromatic cross blend. A good pipe shop will be able to give you suggestions.

Also for the first blends you buy try to stick with ribbion cut tobaccos as they are easier to pack. Save the flake (unrubbed and ready rubbed), sliced, cubes and plug for later.

As far as new releases yes there are some, but its not nearly as many as cigars. You'll see yearly christmas blends and the occasional special blend but not too many small releases.

As for storage, unopened tins can be stored is a cool dark place. For open tins you can add a clay humidifiaction disk to the tin or place the contents in a glass jar (mason jar) with a good tight seal. Bulk blends also go into a jar with a humidifiation device for ones you smoke offen or sealed up tight in a mason jar for long term storage. Again keep them some place cool and dark.

Have fun with your new pipe.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks for the great advice. Looks like there isn't a whole lot of posting going on, in this section (mines still on the top lol). Going to take some time and head to my B&M to check out some of the suggestions. G1

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Good info here! I'm planning to get a pipe this year as well, but I don't have a local shop (Japanese not so big with the pipes) so this was a good post for me!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good info here! I'm planning to get a pipe this year as well, but I don't have a local shop (Japanese not so big with the pipes) so this was a good post for me!
Some of the best & most innovative pipes in the world are coming out of Japan these day.

Hiroyuki Tokutomi
Kei'Ichi Gotoh
Smio Satou
Takeo Arita

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Some of the best & most innovative pipes in the world are coming out of Japan these day.

Hiroyuki Tokutomi
Kei'Ichi Gotoh
Smio Satou
Takeo Arita
They also have some the the best (IMO) flint lighters (I.M. Corona and Sarome) available as well as tampers from Tsuge.

But I digress ...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Boy this thread is a year plus old, and I'm still going to reply. Like cigars, pipe tobacco will age. I've found the best way to store BOTH pipes and cigars is in an UNPLUGGED refrigerator with a good seal. Place a bowl (sized appropriately to the fridge) filled with the green absorbent flower sponge and distilled water on a shelf. Then close the door for about two days. That will set up an excellent humidity. Store your cigars and pipe tobacco in there. One more thing.... Not in an outdoor garage where the cold or extreme heat can effect it.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Boy this thread is a year plus old, and I'm still going to reply. Like cigars, pipe tobacco will age. I've found the best way to store BOTH pipes and cigars is in an UNPLUGGED refrigerator with a good seal. Place a bowl (sized appropriately to the fridge) filled with the green absorbent flower sponge and distilled water on a shelf. Then close the door for about two days. That will set up an excellent humidity. Store your cigars and pipe tobacco in there. One more thing.... Not in an outdoor garage where the cold or extreme heat can effect it.
You're hanging yourself here, brother! :timebomb:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nonsense :eyequiver

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My foot in mouth. I was reading the join dateof the original poster. Thatsaid, I stand on the refridgerator as an excellent store for tobaccos.