What's new

Today’s Smoke - 2024

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mayflower Dusk Toro.
I recently picked up a sample pack of the new Mayflower cigars from Michael Knowles over at the Daily Wire. The pack contained two Dawn and two Dusk versions. I really didn’t know what to expect, but in the back of my mind I was prepared for them to be a gimmick that would disappoint.

It’s nice to be wrong sometimes. Upon inspection it was a beautiful cigar with a nice oily sheen on a milk chocolate wrapper and a nice firm pack. On initial light up the draw was a little too snug and this continued through the first third which probably contributed to a rather arid smoke texture and a wonky burn line though the flavor was quite nice. (My son was smoking the same cigar and his draw and burn were excellent from beginning to end.) Both these issues resolved themselves in the second third as the draw opened up and the smoke took on a thicker silky texture. For me the cigar was medium strength and very smooth with little to no pepper. I got a nice nuttiness (almond?) and an underlying sweetness that I couldn’t place, but which made for a nice overall flavor profile. While I generally don’t care about ash quality as it doesn’t impact the flavor of a cigar, I have to note it had a surprisingly dense, firm ash that I tapped off in solid one inch sections. Overall it was a very enjoyable smoke and reasonably priced at $12. It won’t jump into my top 5, but it is a cigar I’ll buy again.IMG_5298.jpeg