What's new

TODAY is a good day (with pics!)

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Much heavier than I anticipated once it's actually in my waistband but I just bought a cheapo holster while at the store. I will order a crossbreed and a new belt asap.

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
hope your Raptor turns out better than mine...massive cycle of operations failures, which is too bad because this is a perrrrrty looking firearm.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
hope your Raptor turns out better than mine...massive cycle of operations failures, which is too bad because this is a perrrrrty looking firearm.
Amen to that.
Just sold mine off. Had the Government size, two-tone. Gorgeous gun. But I only would have trusted it as a hammer. Thankfully Kimber made things right, and replaced the slide (I think a couple times) at no cost to me. But, turned around and sold it this final time

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Nice looking Raptor.

Let us know how it performs when you take it to the range.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Shot 50 rounds of cheap target ammo through the Kimber yesterday. At 9 yards I was shooting roughly 3'' groups, all about 3'' too low.

I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns a lot, but very little handguns so I know I'm not the greatest shot yet, but do you all have any advice? What's the expected zero for a .45? If it's expected to shoot low at this range, then I won't adjust my sight picture at all and I'll just keep practicing to improve grouping.

P.S. I truly believe I was born for a 1911. That gun feels perfectly balanced in my hand and the recoil is barely noticeable at all. I was even keeping semi-rapid fire groups in a 5'' ring

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
one pointer i might have for you, make sure you are slowly pressing the trigger back until you feel it stop on the sear, then when you are ready to shoot, squeeze the trigger and ENJOY the recoil. i see too many people shoot low left groups because they mash the trigger and have an ungodly fear of a 45s bark.

think of it this way. if you have an empty chamber or a snapcap in, and you pull the trigger like a shotgun or just yank it back, watch the muzzle. it will always go low left (if you are right handed)
Now I'm not saying that's what your problem is, just a handgun shooting pointer in general. a good drill to overcome this is to put a dime on the FSP and squeeze the trigger to the sear, then to the rear over and over and over again until you want nothing to do with your 1911. make sure that dime does not fall off! if that gets easy move to a quarter.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
one pointer i might have for you, make sure you are slowly pressing the trigger back until you feel it stop on the sear, then when you are ready to shoot, squeeze the trigger and ENJOY the recoil. i see too many people shoot low left groups because they mash the trigger and have an ungodly fear of a 45s bark.

think of it this way. if you have an empty chamber or a snapcap in, and you pull the trigger like a shotgun or just yank it back, watch the muzzle. it will always go low left (if you are right handed)
Now I'm not saying that's what your problem is, just a handgun shooting pointer in general. a good drill to overcome this is to put a dime on the FSP and squeeze the trigger to the sear, then to the rear over and over and over again until you want nothing to do with your 1911. make sure that dime does not fall off! if that gets easy move to a quarter.
I agree. The first 8 or so rounds I put through I was really jumpy. The ear muffs I was wearing wouldn't sit right so the sound was EXTREMELY intense. I went out and bought a pair of internal plugs so I could "double up." After that I swear it was just like plinking a .22. The recoil on that .45 felt amazing.

Every once in a while I'd feel myself get jumpy on the trigger so I may get some snap caps and have a friend alternate the loads so I can really focus on squeezing the trigger. My well executed shots were dead low though so it's gotta be either my sight picture or just the expected zero for that distance. I wish I had an experience handgun shooter to go with sometime

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
...At 9 yards ...What's the expected zero for a .45?...
At 9 yards, you should be able to key-hole your shots, and after a mag only have one small hole.

only tip I will give over the internet is watch for the flash. If you can't see the flash coming out of the barrel you are closing your eyes, which is a twitch...hands follow.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
At 9 yards, you should be able to key-hole your shots, and after a mag only have one small hole.

only tip I will give over the internet is watch for the flash. If you can't see the flash coming out of the barrel you are closing your eyes, which is a twitch...hands follow.
Well, I'm not accurate enough yet to put multiple shots through a ring, but that will come with more practice. I'm more concerned about if I should be expecting to shoot low or now at that close distance.

For example, I know that when I zero a rifle at 50 yards (with a scope), I can expect to shoot low at 25 yards because the bullet hasn't reached where the crosshairs are zero'd in at yet. Does this concept transfer to open sights on a handgun though?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Not precisely the same concept because your sights aren't built angularly like a scope. You should be able to keyhole a target at 9 meters.
Thanks, this helps ease the mental aspect of my shooting. While at the range I just kept telling myself to not change anything until I found out whether or not it was me or the gun/sights.

You're likely doing one of two things: (1) over-sighting... and/or (2) anticipating the recoil and pushing down into your shot.

Over-sighting:

In other words, you're lining up the top of your sights and looking over them at your close range target (a common problem until you get some real pistol time in).

Concentrate on focusing on your front sight post. The front sight post should be clear and COVERING your point of aim... while your target and rear sight post should be less in focus.

Recoil Anticipation:

Concentrate on a slow and smooth trigger SQUEEZE (not PULL) and work some dead rounds into your loads to ensure you're not anticipating the recoil and pushing down into your shot.

Relax, squeeze... slow is smooth... and smooth BECOMES fast only with experience - don't rush it. You can also do some dry-firing at home while watching TV or practicing clearing your home (and don't believe the hype; you're not gonna hurt your weapon by doing some dry-firing... and the muscle and mind training is worth the tiny bit of extra wear on any weapon).
Cheers! :cbig:
Thanks again! This is all great advice and will come with time. I am so exciting to finally have my own handgun to shoot whenever I want. Up until now I've probably put less than 300 rounds down range with a pistol in my life. Rifles/shotguns/bows on the other hand... :riflefire