What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
A couple months back I bought a Knob Creek single barrel that was almost 11 years aged, as most being dumped now are less than 10 years. So the guy offered to throw in a different 9 year pick for another $30, and I said "sure, why not?"

I opened the "throw in" last night, and the crazy thing is it's much better than the older one. A little less oak but a lot more brightness and sweet notes. Go figure. ;) :LOL:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
So I bought this Maker's Mark gift set of 375s because it has the 2019 Private Selection which is delicious. Also included are the 2023 Private Se;ection and 23-01 Cask Strength.

I opened the Cask Strength to pair with a cigar. I can see why this sells for $29 for a 750ml, it isn't very good.

I drank about 1/2 oz before pouring the rest of the pour into the sink. I didn't drain pour the bottle, I'll keep it for guests who want to try it. If they all hate it..... :LOL:

Opened the 2023 PS just to get a better pour. It's better by far than the CS, but doesn't touch the 2019 PS. Last years' gift set that had 3 years of Private Selections was much better.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Happy Belated, Chayse!

And? Scotch ain't my thing, but curious to hear if you dig it.
Thank you, Tom!

yes I dig it, I like it when I’m in the mood for a change of pace.
The lagavulin 16 is peated and little bit bbq, I’ve been interested in it for a while and is only the second peated scotch I’ve had next to my bottle of Ardbeg uigeadail. Certainly not as peated and smoky as the Ardbeg. I will probably pick up a bottle at some point to scratch that itch.

Aberlour 16, was very good this one is a double cask finish. It was a sweet and spicy sip. I would like to try Aberlours cask strength offering as that would probably be my pick.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The trend of outright awful Texas bourbon continues for me. This one tastes like nail polish remover and ground cinnamon. Every sip made me shudder. Guess I'll save it for bourbon punch or eggnog.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thank you, Tom!

yes I dig it, I like it when I’m in the mood for a change of pace.
The lagavulin 16 is peated and little bit bbq, I’ve been interested in it for a while and is only the second peated scotch I’ve had next to my bottle of Ardbeg uigeadail. Certainly not as peated and smoky as the Ardbeg. I will probably pick up a bottle at some point to scratch that itch.

Aberlour 16, was very good this one is a double cask finish. It was a sweet and spicy sip. I would like to try Aberlours cask strength offering as that would probably be my pick.
Normally I do not like peated scotches but Lagavulin 16 has just the right amount of age to kick a lot of the smoky and let the flavors shine. in contrast the Lagavulin 12 is undrinkable as it tastes like a campfire being dosed in water.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I get to try a new bourbon this Christmas, with humungous thanks to Brad @BloodWood. Duke Founders Reserve. I am familiar with Duke but haven't seen but one variation in my area and haven't tried it. I'm looking forward to trying this one Christmas weekend if I can keep my hands off it for that long. Thank you Brad!