What's new

Today's harvest

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
That's really nice, I did raised beds at my old place bu not to that extent, do you have any issues with retaining moosture with them elevated that much with block looks about 2 feetish

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
That's really nice, I did raised beds at my old place bu not to that extent, do you have any issues with retaining moosture with them elevated that much with block looks about 2 feetish
No moisture issues, since Im running 100% compost. At 8" tall each, I have 24" in wall with 2" cap for 26" total height. I pick up a trailer load or two of compost each spring at my local recycling center. They make compost with people's trimmings, all refined,no issues of getting dog poo or such.

Since compost continues to break down from soil to almost a sand like consistency, the beds settle about 6" each year. Which is I why I need to top them off each spring. Water drains thru quickly. You could water the top and within moments the soil has absorbed whatever you throw at it.

Only issue Ive ever had with beds is since the soil in them stays loose, I do have to steak plants that would normally stand fine on their own in ground soil. But for ease of use and maintenance, you cant beat it. Its a comfortable height to harvest, check on plants, pull out random weeds, etc.
You can even sit on the walls if your really feeling like lazy gardening.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
That's awesome you can get that much compost, I collect and make my own, are your blocks just sitting on the ground or did you put any kind of foundation for them?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had a little plot of about 8 tomato plants on the side of my house when I moved in three years ago. They have come back every year even though I thoroughly clean out area every spring and fall. Started with 4 cherry tomato on one side and four Roma on the other. I now have at least three plants that come back each year with a mixture/hybrid tomato.

image.jpg

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
That's awesome you can get that much compost, I collect and make my own, are your blocks just sitting on the ground or did you put any kind of foundation for them?
No mortar. Just layed like you would brick. I wanted to be able to change layouts so instead of mortar I cut 2' pieces of 4x4's and slid them in the holes on the corners and a couple in the long stretches just for structural integrity.
I had a seating area set up in the middle courtyard of it, but the bees flying about the plants turned my wife off on the idea. So now its empty courtyard.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Made some fresh salsa with the tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic out of the garden. Only thing I didn't grow was the lime for acid.