What's new

Today's Scotch

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
$97 for a 19 yr is either a great steal or a sub par scotch. Looks like you saw the reddit post and that's about the only mention I could find. The 15yr has some pretty decent reviews, but may be a bit sweet and fruity for my tastes. The 15 is 55.6% abv

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
$97 for a 19 yr is either a great steal or a sub par scotch. Looks like you saw the reddit post and that's about the only mention I could find. The 15yr has some pretty decent reviews, but may be a bit sweet and fruity for my tastes. The 15 is 55.6% abv
I share the same concerns - what makes consider giving it a go is that it still carries Dalmore's name. Many times you'll see some generic bottling place (ie not a distillery) slap their name on an aged, but questionable quality scotch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1999 15yo from the same Independent Bottler (IB) and it is really nice.

I have almost as many bottles from IBs as I do from distillers and (knock on wood) have had really good results.

Since I prefer cask strength, IB is often the only way to get them.

I don’t think you need to fear the IBs too much. They buy up the casks that just don’t quite match the flavor profile a particular distiller is trying to achieve. After the distiller ages their whisky, they blend (yes even single malts) and dilute to get a consistent profile. Some barrels are deemed to be incompatible. Doesn’t mean they are bad. In fact, IMO, makes them unique and interesting.

Trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
View attachment 135724
Smokey Joe is a store brand by Total Wine and More around $33. Blended Islay, light peat and less brine then the Monkey Shoulder. Simple, not too complex maybe a good first peated Scotch. Head to head I prefer the Smokey Joe over the Monkey Shoulder. The cigar is a Viaje Cache, very nice smoke and pairs well with the peat.
I have been wanting to try the total wine whiskeys! Have you tried any others?? I may pick this one up tomorrow!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Rdelia I haven't opened the bottle of Smokey Joe since I posted the pic. Not sure why? Just haven' gotten around to it. My notes

Smokey Joe Islay blend 46% abv nose smoke marine citrus palate smoke pepper spice butterscotch pear Finish long spice peat dry

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nice. I love the price on this and interested to try. I also want to try out some of the Costco whiskey. I spend so much on cigars, I can’t bring myself to spend 50+ bucks on a bottle of whiskey unless it is a special occasion. I’d rather spend that extra money on a great cigar! :). Any other recommendations from anyone for some gems in the lower price range? I prefer smoothness. My favorite scotch in the 40-50 is aberlour. Dran sent me some heaven hill and I really liked it. Hopefully total wine will have that too!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you like light and little peat try some of the Highland Scotches. They tend to be more floral with little smoke and brine. Very easy to drink

One thing I like about TW is you can go on their web site and get an idea of what they have in your price range. Look at their reviews than look at

World’s Largest Spirits Community. Reviews, Tasting Notes, Collection Tracking (distiller.com)

to see if what you are looking at provides the experience you want.
Great info, thank you!!!