Today's Smoke (2004-2022 Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Monte Sublime with Balvenie Founders Reserve 10

The Sublime is a solid smoke. Minimal (if any really) youthful bitterness, nice range of flavors. Very aromatic, with a fair bit of richness on the nose.

Going with the Speyside for this was the right choice, but I should've just upped my ante and gone with something a bit more refined. The FR 10 is a good whisky, just not up to snuff for this. A Balvenie 17 New Oak or 17 Rum Cask would've worked well I think, and so would've the go-to Glenfiddich 21. I think I got the micro-region correct on the scotch, just not the right dram. The youthful kick of the FR 10 didn't complement the Sublime well, even though the flavor profile was almost spot on.

Nice evening watching the stars fade in and out from behind the clouds, watch the coyotes graze whatever they just killed on the other side of the fence... man was my pup excited about that. Not sure if he was on guard or ready to join in the feast...

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Put on some long john's tonight to enjoy a RyJ churchill from the 80's gifted to me from maverickdrinker the other night...subtle flavors of roasted nuts and wood in the first third...transitioned into a nice floral note on the retrohale in the second third...looking forward to the final third :yes:

Thanks Art for being an awesome brother!

Attachments

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
A 2004 Anejo 49, celebrating a day of vacation and escaping the car dealership w/o buying a car. Really liked that Subaru Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.