What's new

Today's Smoke (2004-2022 Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sitting down outside after a long walk around Huntley Meadows with my son's cubscout den. The two most interesting things we saw was this giant frog and a fish. Can anyone tell me if this is the infamous snake head fish?

That almost certainly is a snakehead. In theory, you should have tried to kill it per VA fish and game.

I'm smoking this.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sitting down outside after a long walk around Huntley Meadows with my son's cubscout den. The two most interesting things we saw was this giant frog and a fish. Can anyone tell me if this is the infamous snake head fish?

Most definitely a Snakehead!
They will eventually completely take over any body of water they are introduced into and kill off all the native species that anglers like myself enjoy catching for sport. I have caught and seen snakeheads caught by anglers right here in Louisiana when fishing for Redfish in brackish water. Seems like they are quickly becoming a problem that we will probably not be able to ever eradicate. Many anglers here believe they are catching choupique, a native fish to our area, instead of a Snakehead and unfortunately don't report the catch to Wildlife and Fisheries. Therefore there are many Officers in the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries that have yet to see a Snakehead and even some officers who deny their presence exist in our state waters. I can assure you though, they are in fact here.
image.jpeg

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Most definitely a Snakehead!
They will eventually completely take over any body of water they are introduced into and kill off all the native species that anglers like myself enjoy catching for sport. I have caught and seen snakeheads caught by anglers right here in Louisiana when fishing for Redfish in brackish water. Seems like they are quickly becoming a problem that we will probably not be able to ever eradicate. Many anglers here believe they are catching choupique, a native fish to our area, instead of a Snakehead and unfortunately don't report the catch to Wildlife and Fisheries. Therefore there are many Officers in the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries that have yet to see a Snakehead and even some officers who deny their presence exist in our state waters. I can assure you though, they are in fact here.
View attachment 70910
Are they edible?

Status
Not open for further replies.