What's new

Today's Smoke (2004-2022 Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
20170807_104432.jpg A friend came into the shop today and brought me a present :)

So I don't know if any of you Ohio boys know that the house and Senate (thanx to the hard work of my boss Jim Clark) passed a .50 cent tax cap on all premium cigars in Ohio. Which effects everything above about $6.00 MSRP because that's where the 17% hits the .50 cent mark. So all of your $12.00 cigars should go down about $1.00 and a $25.00 cigar goes down to $22.40. I know this doesn't affect your online purchasers or grocery/liquor stores that happen to sell cigars. But for your true brick and mortar Tobacconist that makes a living off of tobacco and only tobacco it's a big deal.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I used to love these 20 years ago. This tastes exactly like I remember. I do not love this now (not bad, just not what I'm looking for). And so I ponder, what changed in the last twenty years while I was away? The cigar world, or my tastes/palate?
That's funny. This was one of the first Maduro cigars I ever had. And it was around the same time period 1996-97.
Always tempted to revisit but haven't. I remember chocolate and cocoa. Not the worst cigar but not complex enough I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
That's funny. This was one of the first Maduro cigars I ever had. And it was around the same time period 1996-97.
Always tempted to revisit but haven't. I remember chocolate and cocoa. Not the worst cigar but not complex enough I agree

I don't know what you remember from back then, but I don't believe there were any Nicaraguan cigars on the market because of the embargo. Or maybe the embargo had been lifted but there just weren't that many manufacturers of note at that time. Not saying they weren't there, but I want aware of them. But everything back then was (for me, no CCs) Honduran and Dominican. This is actually picking up a little something beyond the burnt sugar/cocoa/cream I remember. Picking up some coffee and some kind of citrus brightness. Not bad.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I used to love these 20 years ago. This tastes exactly like I remember. I do not love this now (not bad, just not what I'm looking for). And so I ponder, what changed in the last twenty years while I was away? The cigar world, or my tastes/palate?
It's all changed. Your tastes. The cigars. The market. The manufacturers. It's all changed for the better though imo (except the FDA coming in trying to regulate where it doesn't belong and what it doesn't understand).

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I don't know what you remember from back then, but I don't believe there were any Nicaraguan cigars on the market because of the embargo. Or maybe the embargo had been lifted but there just weren't that many manufacturers of note at that time. Not saying they weren't there, but I want aware of them. But everything back then was (for me, no CCs) Honduran and Dominican. This is actually picking up a little something beyond the burnt sugar/cocoa/cream I remember. Picking up some coffee and some kind of citrus brightness. Not bad.
Was there? I thought I remember smoking Joya de Nicaragua back in 97. I haven't been indoctrinated to Cuba at this point either. I was smoking Nat Sherman, Ashton, Fuente, macanudo, the Partagas NC, Romeo y Julieta NC.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
It's all changed. Your tastes. The cigars. The market. The manufacturers. It's all changed for the better though imo (except the FDA coming in trying to regulate where it doesn't belong and what it doesn't understand).
I agree everything has changed. I believe that the NCs have made a big jump in quality and far more offerings of sizes, blends, brands, and brand diversification. 20 years ago there wasn't 30 lines of cigars for every brand. But I smoked a lot of bad cigars experimenting back then, and the quality was worse. Can't speak for Habanos because I didn't get them till 2001-02.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Was there? I thought I remember smoking Joya de Nicaragua back in 97. I haven't been indoctrinated to Cuba at this point either. I was smoking Nat Sherman, Ashton, Fuente, macanudo, the Partagas NC, Romeo y Julieta NC.

You might've been smoking that, I don't know when the embargo was lifted. I was just a young punk back then and didn't have the plethora of cigar information access I do now. I have read that before the embargo the JdN was pretty popular. I smoked mostly Macanudo, punch, hoyo etc back then. I liked the Hondurans which were considered stronger then.

Status
Not open for further replies.