What's new

Todayscigar.com Loses Their Credit Card Processor

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
This is unfortunate....

www.todayscigar.com

We regret to inform you, our dedicated customers and casual visitors, that due to circumstances beyond our control we will temporarily be unable to sell cigars over the Internet. Unfortunately, we are unsure of when we will once again be able to accept credit card and debit card orders. Due to an overwhelming response by our customers, we will be offering check and money order as methods of payment as we work to bring our credit card processing back online. The check and money order purchasing will be functional in the next day or two. WE ARE NOT GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. This is simply a hiatus.
We’re sure you will have many questions about what is going on. We’ll be happy to answer as many questions as possible in our discussion forums. Here
are some answers to a few of the questions that we anticipate.
What happened?: Our credit card processor terminated our contract because they will no longer allow tobacco sales on the Internet.
How long have you known about this: Since mid-day on Friday.
Will this impact today’s order, or any orders I haven’t yet received?: No. We are still able to accept credit cards until tomorrow. We are still in business, so all of your orders will be delivered as usual. We will continue to answer all customer service inquiries as well.
When will you be back online? The website will remain online, we simply won’t be offering any products. As soon as we find a new credit card merchant provider, we’ll be back to business as usual.
How will I know when you’re back online?: If you’ve registered with our website, and have opted to receive our newsletter, we will email you as things progress.
PLEASE feel free to ask us anything if you have further questions.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
It seems to me that since selling tobacco is a completely legal business, the processor can be sued for discrimination or something of that sort. This is freakin' bullshit. We need to get much more vocal with this kind of crap. How do we find out who the freakin' processor is so we can rain down a shitstorm on them???

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
It seems to me that since selling tobacco is a completely legal business, the processor can be sued for discrimination or something of that sort. This is freakin' bullshit. We need to get much more vocal with this kind of crap. How do we find out who the freakin' processor is so we can rain down a shitstorm on them???
Nah I think its legal. A lot of places have a terms of service agreement, and they probably changed theirs to do this. There are some web hosts who don't allow adult sites on their servers, but its legal to have an adult website. Same kinda thing. Doesn't mean its cool of them to not allow it though, or to cancel accounts after they have been there a while because of it :closedmou

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The big issue is cigarettes. The Mastercard Visa associations were leaned on by the feds and inturn leaned on the processors to not accept cards for "tobacco". Everyone freaked and JR, naturally, asked for a ruling. The ruling came back that the ban was specific to cigarettes and NOT cigars. Many of the processors, receiving the first memo and not the second cut all tobaco processing rather than risk not being able to process Visa and Mastercard transaction which would bankrupt them.

I have spent the last year educating stupid people that did not pay attention. I have contacted three processors that I know will deal with cigars and pipe tobacco and referred them to this victim. They should be up very quickly.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Chuck. I am as addicted to Today's Cigar as I am CBid. Sometimes I buy their selection of the day just because it isn't sold out and I can't stand to let it go. I'm pathetic.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the support...

As soon as we get the "go-ahead" from our lawyer, I'll let everyone know the details of what happened, and what processor was responsible. Its a pretty big name.

I will say that we had less than one business day's notice before this happened. That didn't exactly give us the time to get together with our lawyer to discuss our options, or to put a stop to the termination.

Thanks again.
-Jim Drewes aka 42
TodaysCigar.com

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Good luck on getting a speeding resolution to this unfortunate situation. Welcome to BotL and I will shop your site when you get things back in order.

Hang in there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow! That is unbelievable. You'd think whoever was running the processing company wouldn't care what was being sold so long as it was legal. Heck, as long as they get paid and earn money on the transactions, why should they care? The war on tobacco is just going to get worse...