What's new

Tonight's IDPA match (1/5/13): Lessons Learned

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
This was my first match since the August state match, so I was rusty. Not to mention I haven't shot much in the past couple months.

A rundown of tonight:
-I shot like crap, but still somehow performed better than the rest of my 16 person squad. I pray people on the other squad shot well. Yikes.
-A good match director is a HUGE blessing. Mine, Tom Ropers, got us started by roughly 6:30pm (32 shooters, indoors) and I was finished before 8:45. That's very impressive for those of you who don't know.
-My rustiness really shined through inconsistent grip, and horribly sloppy trigger control.
-I had the most GLORIOUS MISTAKE of my life tonight. On the final stage, we were supposed to shoot 6 targets in "tactical sequence" (one shot on each, and then go back and put a second). Well, I super brain farted and shot 1-4 in 2x each. Screamed F#%K, and split the last two. Only got a procedural for it, instead of a FTDR. Even with the penalty, my score slaughtered everybody else's.
-DON'T BE AFRAID TO SPEAK UP! An old man in my squad was unsafe in his gun handling, especially his holstering. I expressed my concerns to the SO - who took care of the situation.
-Pay attention when all other shooters are going. You learn a lot, not only by watching those better than you, but those who are struggling as well. It can help to focus on fundamentals and the body mechanics behind the practice of theories. I also took mental notes on things I want to explain when teaching new shooters.
-The SIRT Training Pistol is one of the best training tools available right now. If you don't have one, and are serious about your pistol shooting, I highly suggest you look into one.
-If you own high quality support gear, remember to bring it to the damn match. I forgot my comp-tac mag carriers and had to use a Fobus double paddle. It worked, but was still a nuisance to me.
-If you like your hearing, double up on the ear-pro when shooting indoors. I used to shoot with just muffs on (couple seasons ago), and felt comfortable. But, doubling up is soooooooo much nicer and not the least bit annoying. Do it. You will thank me later.

The only photo of me from tonight:

I shall update this when scores are posted!

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
A lot of great advice in there! thanks Alex! I have always wanted to participate in competitive pistol stuff, sounded like a lot of fun and a great way to refine my pistol skills. Sadly my schedule coupled with the long drive to the nearest area, would make this damn near impossible. That SIRT training tool looks bad ass! sadly its only in a glock framed shape. Id totally buy one if it emulated a P30 or even an M&P.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
It's a bit frustrating, but there should be an M&P version being released soon. They initially said late '12, but now sometime early '13. Perhaps at SHOT.
Either way, it's great for working on trigger control - among other things.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hahahahha I can't stop laughing. Even with how rusty I was, and how poorly I felt like I shot... I still took 2nd overall yesterday.
The winner's scores were: 20.89 (4), 21.03 (9), and 18.50 (9) for a final score of 60.42 (22).
Mine were: 23.05 (5), 19.12 (4), and 21.11 (2) for a final score of 63.28 (11)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Damn bro! Congrats on being better than almost everyone while being rusty! I know it takes me a bit to get back in the swing of things. But to take second place after that long of a hiatus, that's impressive.