What's new

too early to talk thanksgiving dinner?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well it's been decided that thanksgiving will be at my house this year and by some freak cosmic occurence i was assigned the turkey and ham. Gonna be about 30 people and i want to do something special this year. Either want to smoke or brine the turkey. Now my family loves traditional turkey so this is a huge risk, and i have been asking for the turkey/ham for a long time, so my question to you my brothers is... does anyone out there have a go to recipie for either smoking or brine a turkey/ham? or any tips for either?

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If only I could get Meg's ma recipe...

Gale is the smoking man, I've heard. :dunno:

:smokingbo

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will need more than 1 turkey so do 1 traditional and 1 smoked.
I am on my phone but will post up a brine recipe and info later.

My guess is the smoked will go first!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
actually thinking i may need three. My relatives are big eaters, usually have 20 people and devour a 20lb turkey with all the fixings. so thinking doing three 10-12 lb turkeys, so they wont have to smoke that long. oh and i do have two ovens and two smokers.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here are a couple sites that you may want to look at for the turkey and brining.

The virtual weber bullet has a lot of useful info whether or not you are using a WSM.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey3.html

I use Alton Brown's brine recipe, but I vary it a little in that I use apple juice rather than orange juice and add rosemary sprigs. I smoke poultry with apple wood and maybe some pecan.

Alton Brown Orange Juice Brine

1 qt vegetable stock, chilled (regular, not low sodium - that's important)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp black peppercorns (I usually use more like 1 tbsp, but I like pepper)
2 bay leaves
1 qt. orange juice, chilled
2 qts. ice water

Bring 2 cups of the stock, the salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves to a boil. Dissolve the sugar and salt, and cut the fire. Add in the remaining stock, orange juice, and ice water. Once the brine has cooled to 40F or under, add the meat and keep in a cold place (under 40F). Brine for 8-48 hours.

Here is another if AB's brine recipes. I may try this this year

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

I always stuff the cavity with rosemary, thyme, sage, apple, onion.

Do a practice run on a breast sometime prior to the big day.

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here are a couple sites that you may want to look at for the turkey and bringing.

The virtual weber bullet has a lot of useful info whether or not you are using a WSM.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey3.html

Do a practice run on a breast sometime prior to the big day.

I've had a WSM for 5 years, and have cooked several hundred pounds of Boston Butt and ribs, and I whole heartedly agree with "do a practice run". I've never done a turkey, but there are enough variables that a practice run only makes sense.

Mark

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do want to try and smoke a turkey one of these days. I talked about it last year, but never tried it because we donated our turkey to the food bank. Maybe this year I will give it a try since I have smoked just about everything else there is to put on the smoker and then some.

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
alton brown is always my go to recipe source, as for the ham a Smithfield is always great but slice it thin. I also use a ham called Buddha ball. thats the manufacturer and its the best. they dont need anything except covered in a slow over for several hours. good luck brother

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
never too early to talk thanksgiving dinner...unfortunately I think I'll be stuck with going to the in-laws again this year...I gotta smoke something.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
The Alton Brown recipe is fantastic... and the mods suggested sound awesome. (Thanks for the tip!)

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Hey thanks for all the advice. I love AB recipies and definatly gonna try that. having a get together at my grandma's in two weeks. think i'll brine and roast chicken and smoke the ham to see what she thinks of the flavors. Probably save the test run on the turkey for veterans day holiday. Wish me luck

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Turducken is the way to go, never tried one lol but it just sounds incredible! :drool:
(Not for traditional turkey lovers lol)

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
Turducken is the way to go, never tried one lol but it just sounds incredible! :drool:
turducken is awesome. i worked for a chef a bunch of years ago and he made a couple. not for the novice but you can order them online now.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
You crazy, i would be banned from ever cooking anything ever again for thanksgiving. the story would be told for generations how i ruined thanksgiving by doing a turducken. One year my aunt had the audacity to use box spuds to make the mashed potatoes, it has been 42yrs and she hasn't made the potatoes since. but i have been wanting to try it, not this year if all goes well maybe next year.

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I deep fry two turkeys every year. One injected with garlic butter the other with jalapeno/cajun. May just fry one this year and smoke another! The brine/smoke combo sounds pretty awesome.