What's new

Top Gear?

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
How long has Top Gear been on? You mention the 80's; are you serious? Are there really thousands of episodes floating about the internet?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Excerpt from a wiki (so no promise on all the facts):

Top Gear started in 1977 as a local programme made by BBC Birmingham (Pebble Mill) who offered it to BBC2.[2][3] Presenters included Noel Edmonds and William Woollard, with contributions by Frank Page, Sue Baker, Tony Mason and Chris Goffey. The show's theme music was "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers, although remixed versions were used after 1999. For much of the original series' lifespan, Elton John's instrumental "Out Of The Blue" (from the Blue Moves album) played over the closing credits. According to its original producer, David Lancaster, the idea for the name came from the unrelated radio series Top Gear.[4]

Originally, Top Gear was a magazine show reviewing new car models and other car-related issues such as road safety. Other features included classic car events and motorsport, the latter often rallying with Tony Mason, Roger Clark's co-driver. In 1987, Jon Bentley (now a presenter on Five's Gadget Show) became producer and editor. Bentley added former Formula One driver Tiff Needell to the programme, and Performance Car Magazine journalist Jeremy Clarkson in late 1988[5] and the programme saw a massive boost in its audience as it became a more humorous, controversial, and unashamedly more critical show. Between 1988 and 1991, the programme organised a competition each year to find a new rally driver with the prize being entry into that year's RAC Rally.[6] In 1991, William Woollard left the show. Around the same time, Quentin Willson, a former used car salesman, joined. The 1990s also saw the addition of a new female presenter, Michele Newman, who still appears on ITV's Pulling Power. Other presenters included Steve Berry, whose speciality was motorbikes, and racing driver Vicki Butler-Henderson, who joined in 1997.

Among the show's producers were Phil Franklin, Brian Strachan, Jon Bentley and Ken Pollock. Executive producers were Derek Smith, Dennis Adams and Tom Ross.

Despite enduring criticism that the show was overly macho, encouraged irresponsible driving behaviour [7] and ignored the environment, under Clarkson's presentation the show pulled in huge audiences. It became hugely influential with motor manufacturers, since a critical word from the Top Gear team could have a severe negative effect on sales. One such example is the original Vauxhall Vectra about which Clarkson said: "I know it's the replacement for the Cavalier. I know. But I'm telling you it's just a box on wheels." However, even more critical statements have not affected sales of the Toyota Corolla, and extreme praise did not help the Renault Alpine GTA/A610.

Following Jon Bentley and Jeremy Clarkson's departure in 1999 the Top Gear audience fell from a peak of six million to under three million.[citation needed] Initially, James May took over Clarkson's spot, presenting reviews of the Rover 75 and Lexus IS200, for example. Following Clarkson's departure, the programme was jointly presented by Quentin Willson and Kate Humble, who ran an ongoing test throughout the programme between reports. Brendan Coogan (who had joined in 1998), left the show a year later after being convicted of drunk driving.[8][9] In 2000, Jason Barlow joined from Channel 4's driven, and joined the existing line-up for the final 53 episodes.[10] The programme ran almost continuously between September 2000 and October 2001, and despite regularly being the most watched show on BBC2, the channel decided the format needed to be dramatically refreshed.

In 2002, Channel 5 launched Fifth Gear, a car show featuring many of the former Top Gear presenters including Tiff Needell, Quentin Willson and Vicki Butler-Henderson. The show was produced by former Top Gear producer, Jon Bentley. While most of the production team moved from the BBC to Five to create Fifth Gear, Jason Barlow was still under contract to the BBC and went on to front the new programme "Wrong Car, Right Car", which ran for two series and 23 episodes. The name change to "Fifth Gear" was required as the BBC would not relinquish the rights to the Top Gear name (the corporation was (and is) still publishing Top Gear magazine). [11]

After the first series of Fifth Gear was completed, the BBC decided to relaunch Top Gear, but in a new studio-based format as opposed to the magazine format used until the cancellation. The show was again presented by Jeremy Clarkson, joined by Richard Hammond, and Jason Dawe. James May replaced Jason Dawe from the second series onwards of the current format. The pre-cancellation show is referred to as "Old Top Gear" when mentioned on the new show due to the differences in style.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, good history!

One of my favorite shows, and the ZR1/STS-V/Challeneger episode where they come to American is one of my fave's.

I can sympathize (A LOT) with OP on the car budget going down the drain. I miss my single days where a new part was easily saved for, or easy paid down (on the CC) with clever Top Ramen meal substitutions...

Sigh...

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Love Top Gear. I always watch it when I see it's on. Can't ever get enough of the fun/crazy things they do.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great show!! I can't wait for each season and they keep getting better. Although I heard they are done for 2012 except for the Christmas special. I'm having withdraw and find myself watching the old episodes!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I love top gear on this side of the pond.

It did start off doing proper car reviews but now they mess about on adventures and test the exotics.

I thought the episode where they got chased out of a southern us petrol station was funny - have you guys seen that one ?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love top gear on this side of the pond.

It did start off doing proper car reviews but now they mess about on adventures and test the exotics.

I thought the episode where they got chased out of a southern us petrol station was funny - have you guys seen that one ?
Caught that episode the other day it is hilarious!!

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
My favorite series on TV outside of Sons of Anarchy. I am lucky to get it on BBCA, channel 264 for those with DirecTV. They are good for a few episodes back to back to back on Monday evenings, and most weekends.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My uncle got a lotus elise. I would suggest keeping an eye on used listings cause thats how he found his. The price wasn't that bad, somewhere between 30k and 40k and they generally don't have a ton of miles since they aren't exactly built for comfort. The car turns heads when you are riding in it, and is fun being seated super low and the supercharger going behind you.