What's new

Total Gym?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anyone ever use one of these? I need to start working out. WE are Y members but it's a hassle to go there and deal with lines etc.

I know most equipment is a waist but this one has always intrigued me. Another plus (4 me) is my son works in a used sporting goods store and they never get them on trade. But do get all the ellipticals and treadmills, work out benches an so on.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I have. It is a great machine for getting in shape... as are most.

The outcome of your workouts is entirely based on your level/degree of commitment to such however, and you can get a great workout without purchasing any "equipment" at all.

For the "extreme" reputation P90X has among consumers, it can be approached in many different ways and at a much, much slower pace while still engaging the muscles of the body and providing great exercise for your heart and lungs.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got one....I used mine a lot when I first bought it years ago...it's easy to use and easy to transition from one exercise to the next but it's all about getting and staying on a schedule and doing it. Mine still sits in my exercise room with all of the other crap I've bought over the years....I think I'd be better served to have somebody put a gun to my head and force me to exercise.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
We have one and I like it a lot. It moved in with my girlfriend (now wife) three and a half years ago. No idea what she paid for it. She pretty much quit using it before she brought it with. I go through spurts, but after over 3 years I still use it. Admittedly, it is nothing like being at the gym and using weights -- free weights and weight machines are both better. But, this thing offers a decent range of strength exercises. It does fold up and stow in a corner or under a bed, which is a huge plus. Dose of reality, however: the 7 minute per day workout that was (is?) advertised doesn't get you a whole lot...lol

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
I am a P90X guy (currently doing the new X3). IMO, you can get the same or better results with dedication, P90X (1, 2 or 3), a set of adjustable dumbells and a chin up bar. That's as much equipment as you need.
You would be amazed how much work you can accomplish using nothing but your own body weight. The new X3 is all 30 minute routines and if you can't find 30 minutes a day to work out (and be pouring in sweat afterwards), then your priorities are different.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
pick up a couple dumbells or kettlebells and call it a day.
Do curls, shoulder presses, tricep presses, floor bench press or pushups, situps, and squats and you'll be fine. Make it a routine you do 3x a week. You'll be less invested and get as good or better workout than a machine.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Nothing beats actually going to the gym. Actually having a place to go, is half the battle. I've set stuff up in my house, and never used it. Find that if I have to get up and go, it's actually much easier. Once you start on a routine, it's great.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I unfortunately do not have machine advice, but I have some input I have noticed over the years. I have tried a lot of in home all-in-one machines and know a lot of people who have. The thing is they try to fit too many different machines into one. The result is not the perfect machine for every exercise, plus the effort to change the machine each time you exercise. For me personally I quit the home gym route because the best workouts are when you get in the "zone" and just forget about time. Jumping from machine to machine instantly at the gym and getting the full potential out of your workout time make you feel way more benefited. I know a bunch of people who went from home machines as well to gyms for the same reasons. But with the contrary, I know a handful of people who use their home gyms as well but had to supplement them. Purely resistance training will make your muscles remember the same exercises and wont create the same growth. Add in free weights as well to mix it up and you will build muscle faster.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great machine for someone who is really not into working out. The pulley systems and use of your own weight for resistance actually makes the exercises fun, at first! You obviously need to make a commitment to do it on a regular basis and you need to build in some type of aerobic activity with it to burn calories. Many people think if they get this they will lose a lot of weight which is not what the machine is intended to do. its designed to tone and strengthen you must walk, run, swim, bike do Zumba, etc., along with the machine to get in better overall condition. And then there is diet, but that's for another thread.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one....I used mine a lot when I first bought it years ago...it's easy to use and easy to transition from one exercise to the next but it's all about getting and staying on a schedule and doing it. Mine still sits in my exercise room with all of the other crap I've bought over the years....I think I'd be better served to have somebody put a gun to my head and force me to exercise.
Your not that far from me and I do have a nice selection of firearms if you need some motivation.:applause:

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Might not be useful info with a bad knee and if the hip bothers you. But after gaining a lot of weight sitting behind a desk for several years, I lost 60 pounds over the course of 9 months. Didn't change eating habits- and I'm not a good eater at all.

I ran/walked at least 15 miles per week. Some weeks a lot more, but I had to have 15. Over 6 months that alone lost 45 pounds. The additional weight was lost on p90x. I would recommend it but you'd really have to pick and choose the workouts with a bad knee. But that and running lost the additional pounds in three months.

I should preface by saying I'm no professional. But at the end of the day I'm a very firm believer that you (meaning anyone) just need to move your ass. It really is that simple. Dieting is certainly healthy for you. Lifting weights is great. But walk or run from point a to point b and you will lose weight. Adding lifting or a workout regiment will just speed up the process. Moving your legs is where I would start.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I had a TG for several years, it does work you out at your level depending on how high the level is set at. I did finally get rid of it due to lazyness.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I work at a Physical Therapy clinic and all of our clinics have one. They take up less space and can be used for numerous exercises. You can do exercises for beginners and it can be adjusted for more advanced ones as you progress. You can probably find them on Craigslist for pretty cheap as some people will buy them and never use it.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your not that far from me and I do have a nice selection of firearms if you need some motivation.:applause:
Lol....that's my next hobby since I sold all of mine years ago when I started having a family. Now that they are gone I think it's time to buy some firearms. Living so close to Kennesaw where it's a city ordinance to have one I don't want to be caught with my panties down when they declare the same thing here in Dallas/Acworth.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Umm I'm 56, overweight. have a bad knee, (needs to be replaced), a fake hip and arthritic fingers.

P90x would kill me.
well my mom is same age as you one fake knee, other one needs replacing and a bad shoulder. I've used it as well. Your not going to get ripped and shredded but you do work up a nice little sweat.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
my recommendation is to lift...the more muscle you acquire the higher your metabolic rate you'll have...the more calories you burn just sitting around. Walking is great but w/ his listed issues may not be feasible at distance, and the best walking is done at an incline.

Keep in mind, if you've been dormant (no activity) for a while and it sounds like you have, anything you do will help. Just changing your routine and burning some calories is great. That is why so many people have great stories from P90x or Insanity, etc. They go from doing nothing to doing something, of course they'll have results. If I were do them I'd see very little benefit and wouldn't meet any of my goals.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do walk a of miles a day. I live by a park with 6 miles of wooded trails. I would love to swim, used to a lot but the lanes are always so crowded its just not enjoyable. I'll look into Craig's list.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk