What's new

Trader Joe's and Kirkland branded spirits

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
There was some recent discussion in the "latest beverage purchase" thread about the Trader Joe's 18 year Speyside scotch, how it is and who makes them etc. I did some digging and found what company is in charge of bringing in a lot of these spirits and here is what the owner of the company just emailed me. Not a whole lot of of info, but interesting anyway. I didn't realize this company did so many private labels, their website is pretty nice. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me who actually made the TJ 18 yr Speyside. :( LOL

Company website: www.Alexandermurray.com

"Alexander Murray does not actually own a Distillery, but is classed as an Independent Bottler. Before Single Malts became popular, Distilleries would sell Casks to Independent Bottlers & the ruling in Scotland states that you can name the Distillery providing your Brand name is larger that the Distillery name. ( see attached examples ) I have been Bottling the Trader Joe’s Single Malts since 2002 & the Kirkland Malts since 2006. Now a days some Distilleries will only sell you the Casks, providing you don’t mention their Distillery name. Such as with the TJ’s Speyside 18 & the Kirkland Speyside 20 & 18. So unfortunately owing to contractual constraints, I can’t tell you which Distillery I used for the TJ’s Speyside 18 !!

Check out the Kirkland Glenlivet 1972 – 40 Year Old Limited Edition at Costco. : $699.00 per bottle, regular price for a 40 year old Glenlivet would be $1,400.00 !!!

My favorite scotch is Lagavulin 16."

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Was just talking to a few brothers about this last night over scotch; I enjoyed the Kirkland 18 & 20... I may have to try the TJ's Speyside as well

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Currently my Costco doesn't have it but I can't wait to try it.
My local costco had it earlier in the year (January-may-ish) which was apparently a long time because of the popularity (must have had a lot) I went bak last month and they said they didn't know if they would be getting anymore. Hopefully yours is graced with a shipment Hosh!

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I just rang up all my local TJ and it looks like the speyside 18 is and has been long gone. AM blended them a new HIghland 10 year in june, but apparently it is nothing like the speyside (obviously in flavor) in terms of quality.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AM blended them a new HIghland 10 year in june, but apparently it is nothing like the speyside (obviously in flavor) in terms of quality.
Are you sure it was blended?

The TJs Highland I saw here in AZ last weekend was single malt.

Just wondering if they are branching out with more scotch options.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
AM blended them a new HIghland 10 year in june, but apparently it is nothing like the speyside (obviously in flavor) in terms of quality.
Are you sure it was blended?

The TJs Highland I saw here in AZ last weekend was single malt.

Just wondering if they are branching out with more scotch options.
Sorry mis-spoke; the highland is a single malt, he also made them a cheaper blended option as well.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, okay. I decided I would grab the bourbon next time. The scotch though, I am leaning towards not.

I drink my whisky/whiskey straight. If the scotch wasn't good I don't know what I would do with it.

If the bourbon turns out bad, I can just make some old fashioned's and still be good.

Saw a recipe recently, bloody mary w bourbon instead of vodka, been wanting to try.

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
What Costco are you going to that sells liquor? I've yet to discover this at my local Costco. Now I'm going to check the local TJ's and see what I discover.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'll have my woman email our buying office (costco) and see if they can clarify. You only want to know what distillery was used for the Kirkland speyside 18 & 20?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
What Costco are you going to that sells liquor? I've yet to discover this at my local Costco. Now I'm going to check the local TJ's and see what I discover.
Some of them don't (varies state to state) I didnt realize until a few years back when brothers on the board where asking the same question. Im gonna be honest with you.... Alcohol was the reason I got a costco membership in the first place, so if they didnt have it where I lived.... yeah :dunno:

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Some of them don't (varies state to state) I didnt realize until a few years back when brothers on the board where asking the same question. Im gonna be honest with you.... Alcohol was the reason I got a costco membership in the first place, so if they didnt have it where I lived.... yeah :dunno:
I'm going to check when I go back to ohio and if they have liquor then I'll load up on a few bottles.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Ah, okay. I decided I would grab the bourbon next time. The scotch though, I am leaning towards not.

I drink my whisky/whiskey straight. If the scotch wasn't good I don't know what I would do with it.

If the bourbon turns out bad, I can just make some old fashioned's and still be good.

Saw a recipe recently, bloody mary w bourbon instead of vodka, been wanting to try.
Can you post that recipe bro? I have a couple of bottles of bourbon that are entirely to hot
to not be mixed with something! :)

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
There was some recent discussion in the "latest beverage purchase" thread about the Trader Joe's 18 year Speyside scotch, how it is and who makes them etc. I did some digging and found what company is in charge of bringing in a lot of these spirits and here is what the owner of the company just emailed me. Not a whole lot of of info, but interesting anyway. I didn't realize this company did so many private labels, their website is pretty nice. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me who actually made the TJ 18 yr Speyside. :( LOL

Company website: www.Alexandermurray.com

"Alexander Murray does not actually own a Distillery, but is classed as an Independent Bottler. Before Single Malts became popular, Distilleries would sell Casks to Independent Bottlers & the ruling in Scotland states that you can name the Distillery providing your Brand name is larger that the Distillery name. ( see attached examples ) I have been Bottling the Trader Joe’s Single Malts since 2002 & the Kirkland Malts since 2006. Now a days some Distilleries will only sell you the Casks, providing you don’t mention their Distillery name. Such as with the TJ’s Speyside 18 & the Kirkland Speyside 20 & 18. So unfortunately owing to contractual constraints, I can’t tell you which Distillery I used for the TJ’s Speyside 18 !!

Check out the Kirkland Glenlivet 1972 – 40 Year Old Limited Edition at Costco. : $699.00 per bottle, regular price for a 40 year old Glenlivet would be $1,400.00 !!!

My favorite scotch is Lagavulin 16."

Out of curiousity, would any of you guys buy that bottle of 40yo? for 699? Seems to be a bit much to
not know what it is... Personally I'd stick to JW Blue. ;)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Can you post that recipe bro? I have a couple of bottles of bourbon that are entirely to hot
to not be mixed with something! :)

Number 6

http:// http://liquor.com/slideshows/bourbon-cocktails/#6

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Alright so just a heads up to anyone that is interested in AM products or likes either of the TJ or Kirk Whiskey. Tomorrow (November 25th) Trader Joes locations will receive a shipment of the new 25 year old single malt by AM (for TJ). Not sure about any of the specifics; My buddy is a manger and I reached out looking for some of the older bottles from earlier in the year and he let me know.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Out of curiousity, would any of you guys buy that bottle of 40yo? for 699? Seems to be a bit much to
not know what it is... Personally I'd stick to JW Blue. ;)

It's Glenlivet, says right on the label and that's what the owner said.

Alright so just a heads up to anyone that is interested in AM products or likes either of the TJ or Kirk Whiskey. Tomorrow (November 25th) Trader Joes locations will receive a shipment of the new 25 year old single malt by AM (for TJ). Not sure about any of the specifics; My buddy is a manger and I reached out looking for some of the older bottles from earlier in the year and he let me know.

Thanks for the heads up.