What's new

Transmission estimate feedback

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I have a 199 Honda Accord with 160K miles on it.

Transmission just went.

Used option (1 year guarantee) 4K

OEM option (3 yr guarantee) 5500

Is this ludicrous or realistic?

I have a Jeep in the garage with 80K and only needs a battery, I think.

It has been sitting in my garage for 6 years.

What else might it need besides a battery?

Thanks.

Oh yeah......*FUDGE*

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
That's sounds like too much for a used tranny. I think it should be half of that. I would get a different opinion. As for the jeep, I would change out the fluids.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
That's sounds like too much for a used tranny. I think it should be half of that. I would get a different opinion. As for the jeep, I would change out the fluids.

Thanks, Pete!

I thought so. That said, I think I got my money's worth from the Honda!

Still, it's a punch in the gut. There's never a good time for something like this.

I'm sick to my stomach. :frownno:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Change out the fluids in the jeep. Have you been running it occasionally or literally just letting it sit for 6 years?

Rating - 100%
133   0   0
You could always sell the jeep if you're not using it anyway. Also, is the Honda worth 4k? If not, you could always donate the car and take the write off, and then use the $4k you would have spent and get something else.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
A used tranny for an accord is 1500 on ebay shipped. Plus a shop shouldn't charge more than 500 to drop the old tranny and install the new one. It really isn't that much work. With a little bit of YouTube I bet you could do it yourself. It's been a few years but I have swapped out a couple honda trannys and it wasn't that hard. Just need a buddy to come over and help.

If I were you, I would shop around for a decent price on install. Call around and ask what the shop would charge. Then go to the place that charges the least. It isn't a hard job, really any mechanic could do it.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Not sure what model you have or what options but a 99 EX sedan in your zip has a Suggested Retail Price of $5,500 or a Private sale value of around $4,500 in excellent condition... Not sure if putting a part in that costs the same or more than your car is worth is such a good idea. I had a Grand Cherokee and a civic that I had transmissions replaced in the past, both were between $1500 and $1800 including install for a used transmission.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That is so expensive.
My step dad runs a small garage here in the UK and they have just repaired a Rolls Royce auto box. It took almost 2 days to get it out of the car, but the charge was only £1800 to refurb the box and put it back.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
That is absurd! Find a good local garage mechanic and a good junkyard. Most home mechanics are dealer mechanics that do this for side work at way less pay. A good junkyard will be way cheaper for getting the parts.

For the jeep, as stated above chain all the fluids, especially the gas. Its pretty time consuming but will save you thousands in the long run by saving your engine, trans, etc. I have 3 jeeps and all 3 have had leaking rear main seals at one point so I would recommend checking that fluid without a doubt if it has been sitting 6 years.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Local garage that is friends with neighbor said they could do it for 1700-1900. But we are leaning towards bringing the Jeep out of retirement.

Thanks for the recos about getting road worthy!

Ain't life grand?!

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Check with a shop that does strictly transmissions. The labor charge out here in Az. Is$350 to drop the old one and replace it with a rebuilt. My rebuilt for a Chevy truck was 1k Check their BBB rating also.

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Sell both vehicles for whatever you can get for them. BOTH are currently older and currently not running. I would then look for something new(er)/affordable and possibly this time of year with little to no APR on the financing. Also just because both vehicles are not running doesn't always mean they're junk. People are always looking for parts cars esp a jeep and civic.