What's new

Travelin Cigar

J

jckposter

If you had a cigar that was in shippin for 10 to 14 days how long will it take in the humi to get back to normal condition....

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
sometimes the long trip gives them a chance to dry out. many tend to be stored at higher than normal humidity to compensate for travel. then again, I tend to fancy cigars on the drier side.

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I usually give it about 2 weeks to adjust, never had a problem. If they feel very dry and brittle then I would give it about a month.

Ironman

Mr.OneNineDoubleDeuce

The Machine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go for the 30 day rule. After any amount of shipping, I taste one, and let the rest of them get over their jet lag for approximately 30 days. Sometimes less depending on how they smoke out of the box.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
It depends. I've received cigars that were lost in the mail for two weeks (sender wrote the wrong zip code on the address label) ... and they were perfectly fine to smoke on receipt. This was due to the cigars being double bagged.

Most ziplock bags are permeable to air + moisture .... but it's a slow process.

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the cigars I've had shipped in have arrived a tad on the wet side. I usually let them equilibrate in the humi until they feel right, then torch one up for the ultimate test.

If I've ordered them specifically for aging, they're vacuum-sealed when they reach the "feel right" stage, with the intention of leaving them alone for 4+ years. 8)

IHT

Im-Ho-Tep
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i just had one take 11 days to get to me... i smoked one the next day and it was perfect.

but i do like to hold off for a week or two.

Bruce5

--
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with Mad Dawg...
I think it comes down to how the cigar feels, meaning how has the trip affected the humidity of the cigar. Humidity affects burn and subsequently taste. If the cigar does not feel dry or too moist, then it is ok to smoke.
Just my .02

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I am never in a big rush to smoke a new arrival. Plenty of others hanging around so they sit for awhile.

Coppertop

Hi Ya Fellas
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I like smoking one after only a few hrs in the humi. then another a few days later. Just to see if there is a difference, and what that difference is. Curiosity I guess?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disclaimer:i have not purchased a lot of smokes online...but have gotten a few(hard to find)smokes from internet sources over the years.

that being said...my rule of thumb: one month in a humi for every week in transit(for internet purchases).
one year for anything from cuba...no matter the age if its from habana direct...they are way overhumidified.

derrek :smt045

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have to chime in on the 1 month term.

I have smoked many boxes right when I get them and by the end of the month they are just getting where they should be in my eyes.

So if at all possible, I leave them for a month :)

chris12381

Chris
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do double the shipping time. It's not so much they lose tons of humidity over that time but the temperature swings seem to really wreak havoc sometimes. Though I'll be the first to admit that is not always easy to wait.

Derrek: I totally agree with you! The boxes I brought back were so wet they were practically sweating. I waited 3 months before any of them were where I thought they needed to be to smoke.

Chris

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I follow the two week rule. Anything less often dissapoints, but this has a lot to do with how wet or dry the cigars are shipped. I go by feel, sound, and smell.

When my incoming boxes are recent production (i.e. '04), I often put these away for a while so waiting isn't as much of an issue as I tend to wait more than the aforementioned month before smoking these anyway.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Mad Dawg said:
If I've ordered them specifically for aging, they're vacuum-sealed when they reach the "feel right" stage, with the intention of leaving them alone for 4+ years. 8)
That is a GREAT idea. I wish I had done this with my box of Hoyomids ... and my box of Cohiba SRs ... and my box ... well you get the idea. Hard to sample cigars wrapped in plastic. I should probably do this to my '01 CCEs before I break down and smoke away ... then again, if they're smoking great now ... :smt025

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think its 1-2%rh per week adjustment threw out the cigar not just the wrapper the ones I've been getting lately are on the dry side 2-3 weeks seems to be working good I like mine around 63%rh.