What's new

Traveling with on Airplane with Cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm headed out to Vegas for new years. I'm flying out of BWI and I'm curious about some tips for taking cigars and accessories on a plane. I know I can’t bring a lighter on my carry on but I was looking for some tips about bringing cigars and cutter, better to check them or carry on? I’ve heard about pressure making it difficult to open cases with checking. Advice?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
If you have those Otterbox type containers there is usually a lip you can stick a quarter and give a twist to open them right up. You can carry on cigars no problems at all. You can pack up a lighter with an approved TSA type container for checked bags, NOT CARRY ON. Better off buying a cheap lighter in Vegas. If you take a cutter carry on make it a cheap one or checked bag you are fine. If you pack up the smokes you can always cut them before you leave home and dry test the draw so you won't need a cutter when you get there. Good luck.

Chubno

Old Fart
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had any problems with bringing cigars with me as I travel. In the US or overseas. Also, I always put my cutter and matches in a small baggie and haven't had any problem with that either.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm sure you can check a lighter if it's empty. Purge it and buy a can of fuel at your destination. You can check the cutter as well. As for the cigars, last time I traveled I carried the cigars with me in my herfidor and checked my lighter and cutter no problem! Enjoy your trip!

Oh, and congrats again on your recent accomplishment! :cbig: and welcome again! Glad you're here!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can bring natural flame lighters on planes now with out any container. I don't think they're going to care if you check a torch lighter with your baggage. Just bring a cheap lighter.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I always carry my cigars on and havent had any problems. i bring a cheap cutter, and just buy a lighter when I get where I am going.

Have fun in Vegas man, and make sure to go have a few smokes at Casa Fuente

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I carry on my sticks in tupperware or travel humidor, depending on the length of the trip and how many I take, and for my lighter I bought a bunch of the ronson torches at Wal-Mart. I put 1 or 2 in my checked bag. Place cheap cutter in there as well. Never had a problem!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
SuperKrishna told me of a trick to keep the cigar case from sealing up on a flight. Keep the "tail" of cellophane from one of the cigars tucked out of the box and close it ( like a seatbelt hanging out the car door). The box will still be sealed but not completely airtight. After landing from the flight, you should be able to open it without needing a crowbar. He tells me this trick is from the Xikar guys.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Never had an otterbox seal to the oint I could not open it. Headbanger is right that you can always pry them open easily. You cannot pack a torch lighter. You might get it through and you might not. Soft flame bic or the like, no problem. Cutter, no problem.

Las Vegas. Try the cigar bar just inside the Bellagio across from the check in desk. You can bring your own smokes. beer will cost you $7.00 but the people watching is well worth it. If you are takin the wife or a girl friend this place is a huge hit as they have a variety of drinks, cheese plates and champagne. Opus is $70 nuff said about bringing your own. Pheasant Cigars is a great B&M and very pleasant people. You can smoke in most sports books but not all. Caesers is great.

maestrobasser

@maestrobasser
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CWS, I pack a Xikar torch all the time in checked luggage, as does the wife. We just make sure they are in the proper approved container (Colibri Tranzpack is what we use) and it's never been an issue.

I just got back from Cancun last week, carried my big 30-50 ct case with humipacks inside and didn't have any issues, other than them making me open them up (which doesn't happen all the time). Left with good smokes, and came back with a few good smokes as well. :stretchgr

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I carry cigars in an Otterbox, my cutter and a soft flame lighter with me on the plane in my carry-on. I put a cheap torch (Ronson Jetlite) in an approved Otterbox lighter case (originally designed for Zippos, but the lighters are the same size) in checked luggage. I don't carry or pack a good torch, just in case it gets confiscated. I also usually print out the pages from the TSA website that list soft flame lighters and cutters as among the permissible items and carry them with me, just in case...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a zippo knock-off torch lighter that I put in my travel humi, this all gets carried on. I've done this for at least two years, I fly a decent amount, no issues. On my last trip I decided to push my luck and brought (in addition to the zippo knock-off) my good Colibri torch....well, went through the scanner, screener immediately says "we need to get the torch lighter out of there..."

They get the Colibri torch but not even a mention of the other one (the zippo knockoff)...so I use the "mail it home" service...stupid me! LOL

My Dad told me what he does with his torch - he just puts it in his toiletry bag (in checked baggage), no worries yet, and he flies quite a bit more than me.

Just my experiences, hope it helps.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
CWS, I pack a Xikar torch all the time in checked luggage, as does the wife. We just make sure they are in the proper approved container (Colibri Tranzpack is what we use) and it's never been an issue.

I just got back from Cancun last week, carried my big 30-50 ct case with humipacks inside and didn't have any issues, other than them making me open them up (which doesn't happen all the time). Left with good smokes, and came back with a few good smokes as well. :stretchgr
Tranzpack yes, without you run the risk of losing your torch. TSA rules are pretty clear. Like I said, I have packed a torch solo by mistake and got through. I also know some TSA guys that talk about all the torches they confiscate from luggage so..

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I just got back from Vegas last week, and went to Boston a couple before that. I always bring a cheap cutter and a cheap Ronson Jetlite in my carry on and have never had any issues. Like others have said, it's against the rules to bring on a torch without being in an approved container, but I think it's well worth the risk of losing a cheap lighter. I also always bring my 15-count Herfador and have not had issues with it sealing up to the point where I can't open it. It probably is smart to put something between the closure as I have heard of people having issues, but I don't do it.

And definitely bring your cigars in your carry on, unless you want some baggage handler getting your good cigars!?!

Have fun!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I plan on it. Any other cigar places to check out or recommended cigars to check out at Casa Fuente?
I would say go for a God of Fire and a Casa Fuente house brand. They are over priced, but who cares, you're in Vegas. They are both great smokes. They have tons of great smokes in their humi, especially behind the iron gate.

They were running a special when I was there, $20 got you a mojito and a Casa Fuente. I think you end up saving about $6 on that.

All the other shops I have been to on the strip were disappointing. There are a handful of Davidoff shops around, but they are very expensive. Cool to go look though. I have heard good things about Pheasant, but havent ventured out there yet.

Have a great time

Last edited: