What's new

Trinidad Coloniales Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Trinidad Coloniales 44 x 5.1”

Well its a cold day here in Canada and I don't have allot of time on my plate, but at the very least I figured if I was going to smoke a cigar, I could do a quick review.

I've had mixed feelings about Petite Coronas for a while as they are slender and often flavourful, but because of their size have shorter smoking times and sometimes burn rather hot. Nonetheless, I've decided to give one a shot using the Trinidad Coloniales as my weapon of choice.

Taking a closer look at the cigar, the wrapper is rather unremarkable and while it doesn't have any stand out features beyond its golden brown hue with oiled hints, it doesn't have any large veining or other apparent imperfections. Construction appears to be rock solid leaving little to no give at all throughout the body of the cigar, an attribute that I find to be rather unusual for a vitola of this size.

Pre-Light: The body and foot both exude wonderful sweet caramel, cedar and earthy tones. After removing a thin slice from the cap, the draw is surprisingly powerful carrying notes of spice, cedar and earth.

Light: Lighting this cigar proved to take quite a bit more time than I would of thought given its ring gauge and once it was lit, it began to deliver a powerhouse of spice, cedar, earthy tones and toasted nuts. The aroma however was much lighter in contrast to the draw, offering pungent vanilla notes and fragrances of sweet fruit, most notably of cherry.

First third: Between lighting the cigar and waiting for draw to settle, the burn quickly garnered my attention. The cherry of the foot immediately sought to correct any wavering part of the wrapper burning a clean ring around the exposed ash, a process that can actually be heard when drawing on the cigar and something I don't usually observe while letting a cigar rest. Quality aside, the draw is producing thick creamy swathes of smoke, even when left to sit on the pedals of my ash tray. The flavours carried on these swathes are just as rich, the onset of the draw lends it self to lovely vanilla notes that pair nicely with aroma filling the air, toasted nuts follow closely behind the vanilla and are shared with a slight hint of spice on the finish. The expelled smoke is slightly more full bodied that I had originally pegged it out to be, instead of coupling with notes from the foot heavier notes of almond and leather take over my olfactories. The construction still appears to be prime keeping a relatively even edge around the ash, though not as crisp as before and the ash itself keeps to a respective half inch before falling.

Second Third: Midway through the second third, the profile has become a tad stronger. Vanilla is faintly present at the onset of the draw and is largely been edged out by an almond-espresso flavour heavily backed by toasted nuts and spice. The expelled smoke remains much the same here, delivering droves of almond and leather, though it is also accented by vanilla – why this wasn't present in the previous third will remain a part of the enigma that encompasses many a cigar. The burn appears to be okay before entering the finale, carrying with it much of the same tendencies throughout with a discrepancy of less than a quarter inch and ash continues to fall in half inch segments.

Final Third: Progressing only a half inch into the final third and the profile has again begun to show more strength. Espresso, earth and spice come out in full force along with the accompaniment of leather to round out the perceptible flavours for a nice medium to full finish while the retro-hale has reverted back to fragrances of almond and leather. Interestingly, the burn is exhibiting perhaps its best qualities at the nub displaying a crisp sharp edge and holding onto upwards of an inch of ash.

Final Thoughts: I really expected this to be a much lighter medium bodied cigar and was pleasantly surprised to find it full of complexity and strength on the finish. While it only lasted an hour or so, it was perfectly to suited to my needs as I didn't have a great deal of time to sit down and enjoy a good smoke. At the $7-8 this carries, it is very hard to beat as medium-full lunch time smoke.

Total smoking time was an hour an 10 minutes.

Thank you for reading.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Shawn, another fine review and pci's my friend! :thumbsup:

You convinced me to take the one out my humi and fire it up tonight! :thumbsup:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I'm not sure why I have never purchased a box of these yet? Every one I have tried has been excellent.

Nice reviews and pic's

Keep them coming:thumbsup:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Excellent review once again Shawn.

...from that ive read 08 is a good year for these smokes.
Fortunately I have one from that exact year in my humidor...what's that...yep, the last appeal has been denied :crying:. Execution scheduled to be carried out tomorrow :grin:.

Dan

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
nice shawn. they are indeed tasty
A man in the know ;)

Excellent review once again Shawn.

Fortunately I have one from that exact year in my humidor...what's that...yep, the last appeal has been denied :crying:. Execution scheduled to be carried out tomorrow :grin:.

Dan
haha, this gave me a good chuckle Dan, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Thanks again for the comments everyone

Last edited: