What's new

Trying new coffee blends

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I have been trying to expand my local coffee sources beyond Starbucks. there is a local franchise here in Central Florida name Boston Coffee House, http://www.thebostoncoffeehouse.com/Home.htm, which is kinda of a weird name for a Florida based company, but the guy who started it is from Boston. Anyway, they get their coffee from Gillie's Coffee,http://www.gilliescoffee.com/. I was wondering if any of the coffee experts here have heard of Gillie's? I picked out a Kona blend light roast that is way better than any of the Starbucks stuff I have traditionally purchased. I wanted a lighter blend so it didn't overpower my cigars. Had some this morning with my morning smoke and it was awesome. Bought some chocolate covered coffee beans too, and that combo of coffee, chocolate, and the Four Kicks I had made for a very enjoyable experience. It did help that it was only 70 degrees here in Orlando this morning. Anyone else pair chocolate, coffee and cigars?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I pair coffee and cigars quite often. It's a perfect match, as I'm sure other will agree.

I myself always enjoy the Tanzania Peaberry and Sumatra Mandehling. Both have low acidity and light-medium body. And of course I always have some Jamaica blue mountain on hand, which is light body, low acid.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I pair coffee and cigars quite often. It's a perfect match, as I'm sure other will agree.

I myself always enjoy the Tanzania Peaberry and Sumatra Mandehling. Both have low acidity and light-medium body. And of course I always have some Jamaica blue mountain on hand, which is light body, low acid.
two of my favorite varietals right there! highly recommend an etheopian (possibly yergacheffe), and have been finding good nicaraguan coffee pairs well with good nicaraguan tobacco. duh, right? o)

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

two of my favorite varietals right there! highly recommend an etheopian (possibly yergacheffe), and have been finding good nicaraguan coffee pairs well with good nicaraguan tobacco. duh, right? o)
best combo ever!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Gillies is a good roaster who is mostly known as a wholesale distributor. If you thought the Kona "Blend" was good, spring for a 100% Kona next time & you'll be blown away. Most Kona Blends only actually contain roughly 10% Kona...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite coffee is Indonesia Sulawesi. It's got a really nice flavor. Fairway market roasts on site and they make it really dark. I haven't had it in a while because of a volcano on that island where it's grown. I need to check for it though.

I drink water with a cigar. As a new smoker I'm not sure how coffee will affect my palate. A good coffee does get me in the mood for a smoke though!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Gillies is a good roaster who is mostly known as a wholesale distributor. If you thought the Kona "Blend" was good, spring for a 100% Kona next time & you'll be blown away. Most Kona Blends only actually contain roughly 10% Kona...
Good to know that Gillie's has a good rep. I knew that the blend ratio was low, but didn't know it was that low.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0

Just picked up the etheopian yergacheffe on my last trip to my roaster. It's good with some nuttiness and some good body. Has a little more raw flavor than some...and I like that.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0

Just picked up the etheopian yergacheffe on my last trip to my roaster. It's good with some nuttiness and some good body. Has a little more raw flavor than some...and I like that.
Which roaster do you use?

Edit: Just found it on Gillie's site. Ethiopia Yirgacheffe GR2 $14.40/lb plus shipping sound fair?
They don't seem to carry Nicaraguan though.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For those who love coffee/cigars it opens a whole other world....the nuances that carry over from a great coffee to the taste of a good cigar can elevate the cigar to an even loftier height. There are probably as many different coffees as there are cigars which should really get our motors running. I'm a huge fan of FP coffee and that really enhances a cigar when I smoke them in the morning and to me..that is when a smaller RG cigar really comes into play with a great coffee. Starbucks has their own blends which are pretty good but when I travel I try to buy coffee that is from that area and will try and recreate the experience of when I was there with the cigar I smoked at the same time....this is really a great way to cement a memory of a particular blend of coffee and cigar.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Lately i've been into Margaritaville coffe which can be purchased at any Walmart and has a great flavor to compliment morning cigars. If one is interested in something truly unique as far as coffee goes try some Kopi Luwak aka Civet coffee here's a link for a great price from the philipines as it is normally $350 plus per pound. If you don't know it is the "cat poo" cofee. lol coffee beans are eaten by civet cats and basically just pass through their digestive system and "fermented" then dried out and roasted. http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/5160158/civet+coffee?referralKeywords=civet+coffee&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-2,2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked online. It turns out that Fairway market sells coffee on line. The Ethiopian Yurgacheffe is 11.99. I've had it before and it was okay. They also have lot's of good estate coffees from around the world. Sadly they still don't have the Sulawesi that I used to get, and they don't have any nica coffee.

Also check out portorico.com It's another place that's local to me but they ship online. It's a really cool, boutique coffee place with coffee and tea from around the world. You can also get the same coffee in more than one roast.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I need to get you some of my coffee... it's pretty decent.
Bring some to the next HERF, I would love to try it. I appreciate all the suggestions and I am looking forward to trying these different coffee, all thought the "cat poo" coffee might take some effort.
Now the problem will be explaining to the wife why boxes of cigars AND coffee keep landing on our doorstep.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
We should start a BOTL Roasters section on the forum! I'm sure there are a number of guys here who are very adept at roasting coffee, and I for one would love to purchase some!

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
plus one for the roasters section. I have been roasting my own for a while,and am spoiled when it comes to coffee.
Some other good coffees are San Salvador,Uganda,New Guinea,Timor,Burundi. Try lighter roasts while it is still warm weather,and also try blending different types for a marvelous espresso......

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you feel frisky and want to order some from Seattle, my favorites are Cafe Umbria or Dillanos dark roasts