What's new

TV Help 2

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'm looking to buy my wife an HD television for her birthday in a couple of weeks. My Father in Law insists that I'll be able to get an HD (1080) LCD around 45" for under $500. I know nothing about televisions other than about 30 minutes of research I've done to figure out what is best for viewing hockey. My wife has always been a Blackhawk nut and so, based on my research, I think I need something with a fast refresh rate. Was I given biased information or is that something I can even consider for under $500?

Suggestions with links to purchase? Help an electronic newb out! I also tend to prefer LCD because it uses less electricity and is a better picture for high light rooms (which this will be).
Thanks

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Got a 37" Vizio 1080 at Sam's for $469.00 plus tax. Sweet set for the livingroom. LCD/HD and will most likely be less the closer we get to black Friday.

BGC

Zach
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Panasonic plasma. See Rons thread. Mine is in a high light room and is OK. You can probably do either for around 500 depending on quality and htz.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
45" under $500.....nah, those are WalMart Black Friday deals which ain't worth it.
That is unless you don;t really care about the picture quality. Just because something is 1080i/p HD does not mean it's a good tv. AS Slow Burn stated above, you get what you pay for.

As far as bright rooms, generally you want to stay away from glossy screens that will reflect the light. Even LCD's will do this especially the newer LG's so beware. This isn't relegated to just plasmas. The best LCD's right now use edgelit lighting for deeper blacks and have 240hz refresh rates. They also come with apps on board that connect to the internet such as netflix, pandora, youtube, etc. I for one don;t care for 3D so I skip all those sets. Best advice is to do some research and see what matters to you. You can always go to Costco or WalMart and pick up a decent set.